Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
successfully fruit 3yr old jaboticaba in NY!

Posted by lycheeluva 6/7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 13:43

Not the classic jaboticaba but in the family. These are supposed to take several years to fruit under ideal conditions. Incredibly (at least to me anyway), this has produced 4 small fruit after only 3 years or so- and in NY to boot. The fruit were on the small size - about cherry tomato size and the skin was a tiny bit on the thick side. Nice spicy flavor. Not excellent but good and i prob picked the first 2 too early in my excitement. They went from green and nut sized to purple and cherry sized in about 5 days. this is a pic of one of the 2 that are not yet ready yet. will try and leave these babes on the tree longer. hoping for more fruit soon!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: successfully fruit 3yr old jaboticaba in NY!

Congrats! That's darned good growing for anywhere....never mind NY.

Harry

o

Great job...extra pat on the back to you especially for growing them in NY!! Well done LL.

o

Exciting! Please keep us posted on the progress of your tree, Lycheeluva! :-)

o

Is that 3 years from seed or from when you bought the tree? The tree looks huge if it's only 3 years from seed. Nice job on the fruit. I thought the jaboticaba's were pretty good when I tried them at excalibur last year.

o

Awesome! Any tips on how you did that so early? I just repotted my Jabo into a 3 gallon (peat/perlite/compost) so I'm guessing it has a ways to go.

o

alot of flooding in the spring usually causes jaboticaba to fruit.

are there any signs of cauliforous fruiting at all or are they all on the branches?

you might have one of the rarest Jaboticabas in the States, lol.

o

nice job LL,
your jabo looks great, it is interesting to see variation among them. Piece of cake, NY is zone 10 right?

keep it up,
-Ethan

o

meh, its not like you fruited a Mangosteen in New Jersey.

o

thanks for kinds words of encouragement everyone.

Mango kush- actually, i have a fruiting mangosteen, rambutan and lonkong tree in my backyard. I harvest several hundred pounds of fruit from each. They are unusual varities that can handle NY winters. Will post some pics once i resolve my camera problems.

o

Several hundred pounds of tropical fruit in NY? WOW! Wish we had such success! Keep it up!!! :-)

o

Forget the pictures, I would like to place an order for a pallet of mangosteens. Could you perhaps give me a bulk price?

Harry

o

lycheeluva, can you post pictures of your fruited mangosteen tree? Im pretty sure you dont have the real Garcinia mangostana/purple mangosteen. If so, please prove me wrong. Thanks!

o

i sense a little sarcasm here lol

o

its an inside joke in reference to the post below

Here is a link that might be useful: epic fail thread

o

Can we see a full picture of the entire plant, or at least more information on it?

o

tj- i assume u were asking for info about the jab-

this is the most recent pic of the jab

Photobucket

and here is a pic from a couple of years ago

Photobucket

i bought it as a 7 gal from jenes tropical about 3 years ago.

o

Did you forget to post pictures of your fruited mangosteen tree?

o

lycheeluva,

Very healthy looking jaboticaba! I would love to eventually get my container jaboticaba looking like that. How often do you repot, and what fertilizing schedule do you use?

o

"
Very healthy looking jaboticaba! I would love to eventually get my container jaboticaba looking like that. How often do you repot, and what fertilizing schedule do you use?
"

I second this question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here