Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

successfully fruit 3yr old jaboticaba in NY!

lycheeluva
13 years ago

Not the classic jaboticaba but in the family. These are supposed to take several years to fruit under ideal conditions. Incredibly (at least to me anyway), this has produced 4 small fruit after only 3 years or so- and in NY to boot. The fruit were on the small size - about cherry tomato size and the skin was a tiny bit on the thick side. Nice spicy flavor. Not excellent but good and i prob picked the first 2 too early in my excitement. They went from green and nut sized to purple and cherry sized in about 5 days. this is a pic of one of the 2 that are not yet ready yet. will try and leave these babes on the tree longer. hoping for more fruit soon!

Comments (21)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Congrats! That's darned good growing for anywhere....never mind NY.

Harry

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Great job...extra pat on the back to you especially for growing them in NY!! Well done LL.

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Exciting! Please keep us posted on the progress of your tree, Lycheeluva! :-)

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Is that 3 years from seed or from when you bought the tree? The tree looks huge if it's only 3 years from seed. Nice job on the fruit. I thought the jaboticaba's were pretty good when I tried them at excalibur last year.

• tj11240
    13 years ago

Awesome! Any tips on how you did that so early? I just repotted my Jabo into a 3 gallon (peat/perlite/compost) so I'm guessing it has a ways to go.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

alot of flooding in the spring usually causes jaboticaba to fruit.

are there any signs of cauliforous fruiting at all or are they all on the branches?

you might have one of the rarest Jaboticabas in the States, lol.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

nice job LL,
    your jabo looks great, it is interesting to see variation among them. Piece of cake, NY is zone 10 right?

keep it up,
    -Ethan

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

meh, its not like you fruited a Mangosteen in New Jersey.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for kinds words of encouragement everyone.

Mango kush- actually, i have a fruiting mangosteen, rambutan and lonkong tree in my backyard. I harvest several hundred pounds of fruit from each. They are unusual varities that can handle NY winters. Will post some pics once i resolve my camera problems.

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Several hundred pounds of tropical fruit in NY? WOW! Wish we had such success! Keep it up!!! :-)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Forget the pictures, I would like to place an order for a pallet of mangosteens. Could you perhaps give me a bulk price?

Harry

• mangostana
    13 years ago

lycheeluva, can you post pictures of your fruited mangosteen tree? Im pretty sure you dont have the real Garcinia mangostana/purple mangosteen. If so, please prove me wrong. Thanks!

• mullenium
    13 years ago

i sense a little sarcasm here lol

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

its an inside joke in reference to the post below

Here is a link that might be useful: epic fail thread

• tj11240
    13 years ago

Can we see a full picture of the entire plant, or at least more information on it?

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tj- i assume u were asking for info about the jab-

this is the most recent pic of the jab

and here is a pic from a couple of years ago

i bought it as a 7 gal from jenes tropical about 3 years ago.

• mangostana
    13 years ago

Did you forget to post pictures of your fruited mangosteen tree?

• nullzero
    13 years ago

lycheeluva,

Very healthy looking jaboticaba! I would love to eventually get my container jaboticaba looking like that. How often do you repot, and what fertilizing schedule do you use?

• tj11240
    13 years ago

"
    Very healthy looking jaboticaba! I would love to eventually get my container jaboticaba looking like that. How often do you repot, and what fertilizing schedule do you use?
    "

I second this question.

• Tích Mất
    8 years ago

Nice job ..

• greenman62
    8 years ago

nice

curious as to the variety ?

Mine is Cauliflora / Red / Hybrid

got it from Pine Island Nursery as a 3gal a year and a half ago.

its fruited 3 times already... just 5-6 fruits at a time

but its faster than i was prepared for. Now i need to put it in ground. trouble is finding an area with full sun, BUT, will not let the plant dry out if it doesnt rain in a few weeks time.

i put 3 of the seeds in my seed-tray

and BAM... all 3 germinated...

(light pink leaves)