Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted Soursop is blooming!

Posted by bananafan (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 13:59

Wow! What a great surprise when I discovered that my 5-year old Soursop is going to bloom in the pot .. I think! I saw at least two that resemble buds and other tiny ones emerging at different spots.

Here are some pictures. I'm really looking forward to these forming some fruit that will STAY. I was going to plant it in the ground thinking that perhaps they will fruit that way, but it is doing its thing in the pot now. That's a good thing to know!

One thing I've done with it is feeding it with some organic ferts. They're called "Compost Plus," "Micros Plus," and "Mineralplex." I mix them up into a concoction and feed them each month. I've done that with my Sugar Apple which is also currently fruiting in the pot. I don't know if this is what triggers them to bear fruit or not ... don't know yet. Have to try it with more plants and see what happens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted Soursop is blooming!

The second bud here.

o

The two little guys together.

o

More pictures of the Soursop blooms. I have no idea when they will turn to become fruit and what a fruitlet looks like.

o

Another picture of the same bloom.

o

Has the bloom dropped off and a tiny fruitlet is forming? Any idea for those who grow Soursop?

o

I have a potted Soursop for 8 + yrs so far no luck .It's been trying but the little fruits always fall off.

o

So far so good. Try giving them some trace elements. Often those can make a difference in successfully setting fruit.

In flower

o

Developing fruit.

o

Thanks, Tropicalbreeze for the feedback and suggestion. I'm glad that the tiny knob there is the fruitlet. I gave trace elements to the plant a couple of months back before the blooming. Should I feed it now again? I've heard that twice a year of trace elements is good enough while a monthly compost tea is helpful. What do you think?

o

I'd agree, Trace Elements aren't called "Trace" elements for nothing. A bit of Potassium is good, but I think compost tea is good for that anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here