Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

What Variety Mango is this??

puglvr1
13 years ago

My DH and I went for a Sunday drive down to Lake Placid, as we were driving by this small road I noticed a Huge tree in the front yard of house loaded with mangoes...of course I had to stop and ask if I can buy a couple, he gave me 3 of them to try. He thought it was a Kent, but wasn't sure? I don't know Kent enough to know if it is or not...does anyone know? Its not quite ripe yet, still pretty hard so I might wait a day or two to eat them.

Lemon is there for size comparison...as you can see,one of them is pretty large!

Comments (18)

• squam256
    13 years ago

Kent is a good possibility based on the shape. Haden looks somewhat similar, but would need to get another look. Both Kent and Haden lack beaks, though Haden has a slight 'bump' where its beak should be, while Kent typically has none. Both sometimes have those little white lenticel dots that are visible in the picture.

• enduser
    13 years ago

Hi Pug,

Every Kent that I have ever eaten had very little color to them when fully ripe. Once you open these mangoes you will know if they are Kent by simply looking at the seed. Every Kent mango that I have ever eaten the seed husk was open along the fine edge and sometimes the embryo had already started sprouting inside the husk.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Nancy:

It would help to know where you got the fruit and therefore, where it was grown. It would also help to see it sliced open and to hear a description of the fiber content. The fact is that there are many mangoes that look pretty much like that. Assuming you didn't get it off of a neighbor's seedling tree or some place exotic, I would say it is likely not Haden and probably is likely Kent. Please, let us know how it tastes when you get to try it.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i agree with Harry, Haden have an overall orange color to them where Kent go from green to that vibrant red color.

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

I have bought tons of Mexican grown Kents in my neighborhood produce market to say categorically that they look exactly like the Kent mangoes that i buy all the time :)

• dghays
    13 years ago

I thought the Kent had a more purplish red than depicted in the photo..

Gary

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments and opinions. I will try one tomorrow and take pictures of the inside. I will let you know if it has any fiber or not.

The only Kents that I've ever tried had similar descriptions that enduser described. Mostly green, with very little color, with some black lines/splotches. Had no idea that some can get these Pretty colors! The green Kents I had last year were excellent.

Will post pics tomorrow and give a review!

• squam256
    13 years ago

More side views of the fruit would help too.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Kent is a HUGE tree, the fruit on the outside gets sun blush on their shoulder while the ones shaded in the inner canopy do not.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry, the tree was in someone's yard when we were out for a Sunday drive.I did take a picture of the tree on this guy's yard but all I had was my cell phone camera, so the picture isn't good. The tree is very tall around 20-25Ft. He had to use a 6ft fruit picker to get the mango.

Here's the Tree: Sorry for the cell phone poor quality picture.
    {{gwi:1321425}}

Here's a couple more pics of the mango...same fruit just taken at different angles.

Check out the open edge(slit) on the seed, just like enduser mentioned.

I tasted it and it was EXCELLENT...it does have a "tiny" bit of fiber, very little but the flavor was fantastic, sweet but a little spicy. Very, very good!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just tried my very first Cogshall from my tree tonight. DH and I both loved it. Always a sigh of relief when you taste your very first fruit that you've nurtured and protected for over three years like a pet and find out you really like the taste. I'm very happy with this tree, I'm glad I planted it. It may not have the largest fruits, but not bad at all.

Has yellow on one side and reddish on the side that got more sun.

{{gwi:1321434}}

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Oooh - first fruit from your tree! Well done - so glad it was a good one! I am considering a Cogshall for the small tree size. I tasted a fallen fruit at the fruit and spice park. It had been pecked open by a bird on one end and was a bit overripe. But I sampled the other end anyhow. It was juicy and very nice tasting. Great to hear about your success.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks sun W! I think you will like the Cogshall tree, I really like the growth habit on this one. But then again, I'm partial to dwarf fruit trees! To me there's nothing cuter than a short stout tree laden with fruits.

• marinfla
    13 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    I bought that cogshall last week because I thought the tree was beautiful. But then I had a mango tasting frenzy this weekend and I like you also thought cogshall was the most super tasting mango. Now I am even more excited about my new tree. The lemon meringue mango was also a huge surprise especially because the fruit itself is nothing to look at. It was so amazing I have to have one of those trees too. My husband thinks I have lost my mind :)
    Your Glenn tree is really nice... but how is the fruit?? When I tried the Glenn mango this weekend it seemed bland and disappointing. Could it have been a fluke? The fruit was pretty to look at but not very sweet compared to the Cogshall and others. A friend of mine from Fort Lauderdale invited me to pick her tree since it was overflowing and the fruit looked like your picture...I am guessing they are Kent mangoes too. Some were 2 pounds with a nice deep red blush at the top!! I have to get an extension pole picker before I go back because many were too high to reach. So your opinion of the Glenn fruit is???

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Marinfla, your husband sounds like mine...he also thinks I've gone over the mango loony bin,lol...

I'm glad you liked the Cogshall, I was really glad it ended up being a good mango especially since I really love the way this tree grows, really like its growth habit. Thanks for the nice compliment on my tree.

My Glenn was excellent...but the one I've tasted came from my Potted Glenn, I've never tasted my inground Glenn before because twice its bloomed and both times the "freeze" killed the blooms and almost killed the tree :o(
    If I can just get one mild winter...I'm hoping to get some fruits out of it next year. My inground Glenn is not in the best spot in my yard...so the freeze nails it every time.

I've read a few different reviews here from people, some say its very good and others say its bland or watered down. I think it might have something to do with how much rain/water it gets during fruiting. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in and tell you. But my experience with my Potted Glenn fruits was awesome. I loved it and so did my husband!

Here's my Potted Glenn from summer of 2009...unfortunately it didn't bloom this year.(I pruned it very late last year)
    {{gwi:8780}}

Here's a picture of the Glenn from last summer

{{gwi:124632}}

I wish I had a friend that had a big tree around here! Have fun picking them! Enjoy!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

it has everything to do with the rain. Glenn is awesome for the dooryard because sometimes the tree has separate flushes that ripen at different times. ive tasted a really sweet Glenn from a first flush then a more watered down haden like glenn from the second flush of the same tree. sometimes Glenn will also produce little nubbin mangos that are really sweet and have fiber for seeds. the tree is nice size too.

• marinfla
    13 years ago

I have my Glenn mango in a pot also. I posted the pictures of the 6 mango trees I have. The Carrie and Keitt are in the ground, the others are potted-> (Glenn, Cogshall, Lancetilla & Pickering. I am planning to go back and get a lemon meringue tree since it was so amazing. I will wait to see how they are after the first crop. If the reviews aren't exciting on the Glenn it would be first slotted to be 'gifted' to make room for something more interesting. Impatiently waiting :) Nancy I will send you a message about the lemon meringue tree!

Here is a link that might be useful: my mango trees

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Nice. I have my glenn in the ground. It's growing in a rapid pace. In fact, I have to hold it up with a bamboo stick, since it's out-growing the width of the trunk. It's already passed the 6ft tall fence.

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz