Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phase0001

SoCal sweetheart lychee update

phase0001
12 years ago

got about 50 fruits two years ago. last year all fruits dropped. this year it seems that I will get 100+ or more. the tree has not been as fast-growing as those in Florida, but it is much denser than 2 years ago.

some fruits. looks like it will take at least a month to ripen up.

my mango has been struggling even since I planted it. Does anyone know what is wrong with it?

Comments (12)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

I know Floridians might say anthracnose and such..but I think the problem with your California grown Mango might be too heavy soil and inconsistent watering...once summer rolls around they should be fed and watered very well at that size.
    I can see it's still sprouting new leaves,has a nice sized trunk so its not a goner by a longshot. Maybe scrape off those old mulch and replace with a new,richer,compost.

• socalmango
    12 years ago

Wow, what a great looking lychee tree. How old is it?
    I?ve seen some pretty large ones in Florida (Dade and Homestead counties), but for your size of tree and getting 100 plus fruit that is pretty awesome. What are you using for fertilizer? Mine are still very small. One thing that I experience this past winter with my sweetheart is that it totally defoliated before it started putting out new growth a couple of months ago. I thought I had lost it for sure. Mine is still small only about 4 feet tall, but hope someday it looks as good as yours.

Your doing such a great job with that lychee tree, and such a poor job with that mango tree. What variety is it? Looks like all the new growth is burnt, or is drying out but the old growth looks good. You sure you are not over fertilizing that mango having it so close to the lychee tree. That mango tree looks like it?s getting over crowed in that lil space. I?d find a better spot for it away from the lychee tree.

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

do you have high humidity where you are ,, any numbers will help ,,

Thanks, Amr

• phase0001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the feedback guys.

the soil has been enriched and the mango is watered well. it is not as close to the lychee tree as it appears in picture. at least for now it is not overshadowed by the lychee.

socalmango, it is a manila mango that I bought from HD. no I did not fertilize it. as to the lychee tree, sometimes I fertilize it with Liquid Exel LG Foliar Fertilizer. other than that some organic stuff such as seaweeds or kitchen waste. It took my lychee tree a couple of years to establish fully and start to thrive. perhaps I was not taking good care of it at the time. Simon also lives here and his lychee tree has been doing very well shortly after being planted. perhaps he can give you some advice.

amrkhalido, it is pretty dry here in southern California, but I have seen other folks in SoCal with mango trees growing properly.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Beautiful Phase, congrats! I have about 4 lychee this year on my Mauritus, I cant imagine my excitement if my tree ever produces like yours.

thanks for the hope,
    -Ethan

my guess on the mango is too much water, not enough drainage?

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Phase! Glad to see you posting again...its been a while! Congrats on all those great Lychees growing on your tree...looks like a great crop this year. As you remembered I lost both of my lychees trees two years ago. I've planted one in Feb. we'll see if the freeze kills this one too,lol...Your sweetheart lychee is growing very nicely.

I'm sorry I don't know what might be wrong with your Mango tree...best of luck! Hopefully, someone here can help.

Nancy

• nullzero
    12 years ago

The large fruit set may be due to the weather this year. The humidity has been much higher then usual for places within 20 miles of the ocean in SoCal. Been seeing an average humidity around 40-60% during the day and at night +60%.

• phase0001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi pug, though I have been away but I come here and look at this forum a few times a month. sorry about your trees and I feel for your losses. hopefully bad luck has ended and you will get fruits very soon. your trees are always wonderful.

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey Phase, long time no forum. I finally got my Sweetheart into the ground and it seems a lot happier but there are no fruit this year as I am giving it some organic fertilizers to stimulate vegetative growth.

I'm so glad to see your tree is holding so many fruit. I think most people that grow Lychees already knows this but WIND is one of the biggest enemy to newly emerging Lychee leaves. The smaller the plant, the more prone to wind damage it is.

I recently planted my Sweetheart, Kwa Luk (Hanging Green) and my Kaimana into the ground. I also picked up a Groff and an Ohia Pink Lychee. I need to build some sort of wind protection for it.

Your Mango does look like it may need more water, how often are you watering? It could also be salt buildup in the soil or overfertilization or maybe even wind damage.

Please keep us updated on the progress of your Sweetheart. I must say, you have the most productive Sweetheart Lychee tree that I know of in SoCal! Keep up the great growing!
    Simon

• phase0001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

simon, glad to hear that your trees are doing well. where did u get the kwa luk? is it the one you requested over the mail? we all have high hope for that one.

and now you have so many lychees. really envy you for the amount of space you have in socal. not sure what's wrong with the mango. it is watered every 2 days. i will try to water more now to see if it improves. no fertilizer at all.

will keep u updated on the sweetheart. do u have pics to share?

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey phase, if you are watering every two days that should be more than enough. You might be overwatering. If you are overwatering you may be drowning the roots or stimulating growth of harmful anaerobic organisms and fungus or molds.

I got the kwa luk from the usda at Hilo. It is still really small right now but I can give you an air layer when it gets larger. I'll try to take some pictures to update my plants. How is your kaimana doing?

• phase0001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi Simon, it does not look like over or under watering. The soil is neither too wet nor too dry.

My karmana is not doing well. it has a small growth flush and actually flowered. but now there is no new growth. it is still very small.