Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jun__gw

Is this a dragon fruit flower?

jun_
12 years ago

this dragon fruit cutting from last year has only two new growths, but at the tip of one looks like a flower bud, I'm not sure. Anybody know if this is a flower?

Here is a link that might be useful: See the rest of this plant here:

Comments (12)

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

That does kind of look like it, but right now all my DF plants are in new leaf stage, so I suspect that might be a new section growing.

Your plant looks like it might be too small to produce flowers at this stage. By any chance do you know the variety?

• jun_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I bought cuttings last year on ebay. they were labeled "white, red, and "puple". This is the one labeled "white".

These cuttings have been putting out new growths for the past 2 months and still are. But the other new growths looked spiny, this one is not spiny.

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

Hmmm, might be a white Jania, if it looks like the supermarket ones then you've probably got that also called a vietnam white.

It's entirely possible, but usually I hear that the critical mass for a DF plant to fruit is about 8-10lbs. I can't recall if they will still flower though.

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Sorry...looking like new growth flush to me.

• sleep
    12 years ago

Yeah , not a flower ....

• jun_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so what does a dragonfruit flower bud look like? Or are you guys just basing this on the fact that you can't believe a dragon fruit can bud that early?

• pepperot
    12 years ago

Something like this

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

It's not a belief, it appears to be the standard rule for all dragonfruit varieties. It still needs to be quite large before it will put out flowers.

• jun_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to cross my fingers and see what happens. I will update later. Maybe my dragonfruit hasn't read the rulebook!

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Jun...most of us have seen the unbelievable so that is never a factor. We are basing this upon the "been there, done that" fact. Every one of us here have plants that put out new growth and our impatience and excitement to see a flower overrides the plain fact. Keep the plant happy and growing and it will bloom soon enough...or not soon enough.

• jun_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ohiojay, its good to hear that someone still believes in the unbelievable. It would be pretty boring in the garden without a few of those moments. About the "been there, done that", I have seen my mother in law's dragon fruit budding at a very young age, although it was a little bigger than mine is now. The flower bloomed and fell off, did not fruit until the second season. In it's third year, she collected over 30 fruit. I say, keep the hope alive, it's always exciting to see our plants do amazing things, isn't that why we put in so much effort to grow them?

• wizzard419
    12 years ago

lol, there isn't that much effort to growing them, just keep them away from trees you don't want dead and give them water.

A university is seeing how hard it is to kill a dragonfruit field right now since the claims of it's drought tolerance are questionable.