Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Maha Chanook and Friends.....Ready for Evening Fruit Tasting

hmhausman
13 years ago

Just did a yard walk to gather the daily mangoes (few though they may be) for an evening fruit tasting at a friends that we have every year. The more visually appealing mangoes I am bringing include: Maha Chanook (left) next to a store bought Champagne mango, Hatcher, Van Dyke and Rapoza. The Rapoza is compliments of Murahilin who picked it up at his fruit class during the week down in South Dade at one of the major mango repository groves. I'll post addtional pictures after the tasting.

Comments (33)

• squam256
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Will be interesting to read the results.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

All interesting mangoes! I would love to taste some of those one day. Going to Florida next month to Key West. But we are planning to go to Robert is Here for some tropical fruits. Any idea where else we can go for tropical fruits? I'm into atemoya and these interesting mangoes!

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No time to comment....here are some pics. I';ll do the commentary tomorrow.....its bed time.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

That maha chinook is now in my possession haha. I will let you guys know how it tasted. Noel is blocking the bowl of mangosteens in the first pic. They were pretty good. After eating all the different mangos, the dragonfruit was even blander than usual. That bowl that looked like mashed potatoes was really a bowl of durian. It left that side of the room with a pleasant aroma all night.

Harry, what mango was your favorite tonight? I'm going to go with Southern Blush, Fairchild or Edwards.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Upon closer inspection, I think you gave me a different Maha Chinook Harry. A little less red but looks just as good.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Yummmmmmmm.... So many mangoes and fruits. The magenta dragon fruit is so bright! Everything looks so good...except for the durian...lol. I would not want to eat mashed durian as it's too mushy....hehehe. A lot better when taken out as a whole piece. Have not eat a fresh durian for a couple years.:(

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

nice spread!

where did the rambutan and mangosteen come from?

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I can't wait to hear the consensus on the rapoza. I have heard a lot of good things about this mango lately. I asked Lynn what were other popular mangoes in Hawaii and the rapoza was one of them and ofcourse I want to hear how good that Maha Chinook was.
    Andrew

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Wow Harry. I think I definitely cam about a month too early. At least I know for next year. Definitely looking forward to your review of the Rapoza. I'd like to hear your thoughts before grabbing one. I don't know why, but for some reason I expected the rapoza to be a smaller mango.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Awesome Harry!! Sorry I missed out,lol...everything looks delicious! Great pictures!

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some preliminary comments before I give my analysis....first, as I have said in several other threads and want to continue to stress, analysis of mango qualities and flavors is a very fluid thing. Different locations and growing conditions can produce drastically different results with the same cultivar and fruits even at the same location can vary from year to year in qualities and taste. Then there is the ever present issue of getting the fruit to the peak of ripeness in order to serve them to the guests at the same time. The more cultivars and/or the more people, the more difficult it is to get truly representative fruits exactly ripe at the same time. Many of the fruits that were served had ripened the week before and were kept in refrigeration until the night of the tasting. Some suffered badly from this....others weathered the refrigeration without too much degrading. Then there are some mangoes that taste fantastic whhn you first cut them. But, leave them out in the air awaiting the tasting to begin for a couple of hours and they change. So with all that being said, let me address some specific questions and comments.

Murahilin:

No, you do not have the Maha Chanook in the picture at the top of this thread. Turns out, it didn't even make it to the tasting table. Our host had his own Maha fruit from the tree that I had given him many years ago and he used the fruit that he had a available (to be read.....more in need of eating as it was much more ripe than the one I brought and was in the picture). So let me start out by saying the Maha Chanook fruit that was served were two, both of which had ripened and had been refrigerated for a number of days and were not representative. The fruit I gave you was much less ripe. I'll look forward to your comments on how the fruit is when you try it.

You mentioned Southern Blush, Fairchild and Edward as your top three. I would also put them at or near the top. I brought all three of those mangoes and the Fairchild had actually been refrigerated for a week prior to being cut up. I was very impressed with it. I haven't really had it before this year. The Southern Blush was a fruit from my oldest mango tree that had been knocked of the tree by an animal and was just a touch to the underripe side, but very, very good. The Edward was a mis-shapen fruit which I didn't even know I had until I was scouring my trees for mangoes to bring. I pulled it with just a slight cast of yellow 2 days before the tasting and it was every bit as good as any more fully developed and beautifully shaped Edward from earlier in the season when I had the main crop of Edward fruit.

Bryan:

The mangosteen and rambutan came from a market that I believe is owned by Vietnamese people in what I call "Little Saigon." It is a small Vietnamese enclave located around/on 441 just south of Commercial Blvd. in Ft. Lauderdale. They were broughy by other people. I think they said the market name was Orient Market, but I am not sure of that. The mangosteens were good....but the rambutans were the best that I, and several others much more experienced than I, have ever had. I love the flavor of rambutan, but hate the fact that the flesh adheres to the seed and you always get some of the seed in your trying to chew the flesh. But very fresh tasting were these fruits.

John and Andrew:

The Rapoza was one of the most beautiful mangoes there. Unfortunately, I found it to be disappointing in flavor. It was "OK"...that's about all I can say for it. Now, in fairness, I was not the one that sliced it up. I intended to be the one to do it, but the host did the slicing on that particular fruit. When I do the slicing of a new cultivar, I always make sure I get an immediate taste, even if it is just a remnant of the flesh from around the seed so that I can get an impression before the fruit sits out and potentially has some degrading in flavor or quality. The fruit may have also been a day or two past its prime. Murahilin got it for me and it had been growing on the ground. The upside of the mango was gorgeous...as you can see and the underside was without color and was scarred. I would have to continue to reserve judgment on this mango until I try it further and it is still on my wish list for mangoes to plant out based upon its popularity in Hawaii, the intense color, size, meatiness, and supposed productivity.

For me, the other fruits that were at the top of the chart were Okrung and one of the seedling fruit that I brought that I do not know for sure the parentage of. I surmise based upon shape and coloration that it is a cross of Cushman and Thai Everbearing. This year, it was surprisingly good. Several people came over to me to inquire about it. The Okrung, I also brought. There were very limited fruits on this tree this year (as in about 5). To give you an idea of how poor that crop really is, in my all time best year that tree dropped and I harvested each morning about 30 fruits. Then at night I would pick up another 30 fruits. That 60/ day fruit ripening went on for over a month. Incredibly sweet mango. There is some fiber around the seed and it is not the most meaty of fruits, but the flavor is really good.

Kristy:

Not sure where to tell you to go down in South Dade County while you are there next month. You will be a 45 minute drive south of me if you are having any thoughts of stopping by my place. I don't know what I'll have available, but you are always welcome to stop by. I will be out of town, however, for a few days in mid-August as things look right now. I'll keep my ears open for fruit buying/ tasting opportunities down south of me where you will be. Let me know your travel dates when you know them for sure.

In summary, it was a surprisingly diverse menu of fruits. Aside from the mango, the dragon fruit was American Heritage. It is a wpoderful dragon fruit, but you can't give it a fair tasting while eating mangoes right next to them. There were store bought Kent and Champagne mangoes. I actually bought both at Costco. Trying them in advance of the tasting, I thought to myself.....hmm...these aren't half bad....pretty good actually. In the tasting they both would have ranked in the bottom third of the mangoes there in flavor. I brought some of the early fruit from my seedling of Kohala longan. I was pleased with the sweetness and flavor. The fruits will hopefully get more flesh on them during the next week or so. The durian was....well, not the best durian that I have ever eaten (if there is even such a thing). Murahilin made his wife taste it and then refused to eat any himself after it neared his tongue on the spoon. There was Younghan's Gold white sapote, Carambola (Possum Trot), Hirado Buntan pommelo, and about 30 or so mango cultivars to taste. I would be remiss in not mentioning something one of the wives made...which I haven't ever had before. She's Vietnamese and she made and brought some sort of Yuca (cassava) pudding squares that were devine. Murahilin says that they have a similar preparation in Trinidad and Guyana. There, they call it pone....my apologies, in advance, if I butchered the spelling.

Harry

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Hi Harry,
    We will fly to Fort Lauderdale airport and then take the rental car and drive to Robert is here for some atemoya and mangoes...and of course anything else in season. Then drive all the way to Key West and stay there until the 10th or until we leave which is on the 11th. We will then stop by Robert is here for atemoya to bring back to PA.

Let me know if there is any other place for tropical fruits in Ft Lauderdale. I want to get some special mangoes and atemoya home. If the rambutan over there is cheaper than over here then I want to get some of those too.

Let me know how close you are and I'll make plan to stop by.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

What a dream table, it looks and sounds like you had a great time at the tasting. Not to mention the camaraderie of some serious fruit nuts.

thanks for posting,
    -Ethan

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Beautiful setting. Everything looked so good. Sheehan... shame on you!! Making your wife eat that while you wouldn't! LOL! Was it frozen? If so...I don't blame you!

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kristy:

Arriving in Ft. Lauderdale puts you in perfect position to stop by my place. I am a short 15 minute drive west of the airport along I-595 (unless you are traveling between 4-6 PM, in which case it might be a 45 minute drive). You might check out New River Grove, in Davie as a potential for some fruit purchase. I should have some stuff still around, but nothing in any quantity....other than perhaps longans which I will have a truck load of.

You mentioned how long you would be staying in Florida, but, unless I missed something, you never said when you are arriving. Let me know.

Harry

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

That Maha Chanook is beautiful! And wow - what a diverse tasting! I read all your comments on flavor with great interest. Thanks for sharing!

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Oops...we will be there on August 6th around 10 am. I'll visit you since you're so close! I'll email you later for the address.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Uhh Harry, Now I have to get an Okrung. But after the Okrung and Cushman and maybe Rapoza I am done with the mangoes...

Harry do you know of a reliable source for a true Okrung? I know there is some confusion with that type so I want to make sure I get the right one.

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Harry,

I see that Hatcher Mango was one of those tasted. How did it compare to the others? Does it measure up to the online hype and high cost of its fruit and trees?

Tony

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

John:

I would assume Pine Island has Okrung. It is regularly grafted by Zill's as well, as far as I know. Of course, you could always get budwood from me, if all else fails.

Tony:

The Hatcher you see in the picture didn't make it to tasting. It wasn't ripe enough. I still have it on the counter. Unfortunately, it has developed a dark spot, almost like a bruise on the top that may ruin the upper half of the mango. When you stop by for your mango graft, remind me and maybe it'll be ready to taste.

Harry

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Harry, You know how it goes with me and grafting magoes. I am considering it a lost cause at this point.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

John:

You need to do approach grafts. On mangoes, I get virtually 100% takes. I just did one for SWRancher and it was a snap. Two months to get it to the point of separation from the mother tree, but very sucessful.

Harry

• enduser
    13 years ago

Harry,

Since you speak about grafting and budwood, I'm curious to know if you have any knowledge on T-budding or shield grafting mangoes? If you do any tips on this process would be highly appreciated.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

enduser:

I know about those grafts, in theory, but have never used them other than to learn about them in a propagation lab for a fruit class I took over 15 years ago. I usually do only side veneer grafts (which I enjoy...or rather suffer through, a success rates of about 25%. I have done many cleft grafts and have had only one take for me ever. Approach grafting is the safest bet.....but you have to have the mother tree in close proximity. So, sorry, I am not of much help.

Harry

• enduser
    13 years ago

No problem Harry. I'm averaging close to a 90% take with side veneer grafts, but ZERO when T-budding mangoes, Annonas, and persimmons. I recently tried a bark graft just to test it out and that one took also. It actually looks like a T-bud but its a little more wasteful since you use more buds on the scion. I have followed every step faithfully when T-budding and nothing seems to work for me. I find this rather strange since T-budding is supposed to have the highest success rate due to the larger cambial contact between the two tissues. Approach grafting does have a higher success rate but it sure makes one ugly graft that is not very strong.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've never experienced any strength issue with approach grafts in mangoes. In two years, you wouldn't even be able to tell there was a graft. Now, they are ugly at first, but the ugliness is relatively short lived.

Harry

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I'd love to do approach grafts but that doesn't help get new varieties. I guess I should have just brought down a few extra seedlings with me when I was down and just left them at your place.

I had an approach graft set up on one of my jackfruits recently, but it failed. I think it was from water getting to the graft, but I am not really sure how I could avoid having water get in with approach grafts?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

John:

Bring some seedlings down on your next trip and you can do some approaches on the things you want. If I had more time and inclination, I'd do some more myself. I always seem to run out of time and/or inclination or both.

I don't think that water splashing on a graft would cause the failure. The problem was probably something more. Or, maybe the wetness allowed a fungus to get into the wound. I guess that is possible.

Enduser:

And btw, side veneer grafting, at least the ones that I do, haven't won any beauty contests either.

Harry

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Harry,

Love the pictures, looks like you are eating like a king! Such a wide assortment of fruit plates. Looking forward to more pictures!

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Harry, I think the problem I am having is that rain gets under the tape and just collects at the graft site. I seem to end up with mush after a few weeks.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

I'm probably a bit late here ;-) but just a quick comment to the grafting discussion. The two big enemies of mango grafts in my experience are: not leaving leaves on the rootstock and fungal/bacterial infections.

Cleft grafts are fairly successful on mangoes (50% range?) if you make sure to graft a bit high, leaving a few leaves on the root stock. The only way (that I'm aware of) to achieve decent success with cleft grafts while grafting just above the soil line is to graft when the stock is only a couple of weeks old (still red). That way the energy to push the scion comes from the seed (not photosynthesis). At least one commercial nursery in our area practices that technique successfully.

T-budding is probably the best method when performed by a skilled grafter. Several commercial growers here achieve well over 90% success with t-budding techniques on the mango.