Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

Potted Haysa Sapodilla Update

ch3rri
13 years ago

Time for some update on my hasya sapodilla. I love this tree. It's doing so great and the fruits are huge!

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

Comments (18)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Really nice job Kristy......a beautiful specimen indeed!

Harry

• ronald123
    13 years ago

Nice, really nice. I recently got my first hasya off of a seedling tree that I top worked a few years ago. Glad to see that many more now seem to be holding.

Just remember how brittle those hasya limbs are.
    Ronald

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Nicely done,
    not only do the fruits looks great but the tree is a beauty too.
    please let us know how they turn out,
    -Ethan

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Yes, Ronald certainly knows his Hasya's......they break constantly and always at the worst times. You might think about giving them some support to prevent that from happening. Of course, it is probably the wind in thunderstorms that causes my limbs to break. If the tree is sheltered, maybe it won't have the problem.

Harry

• ronald123
    13 years ago

I actually learnt the hard way, pulling down limbs to check blossoms and experiment with hand polination. It broke so easily, I never do that anymore.

My fruit was the same size as my ox, also the first fruit from that tree.

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, ch3rri! Your sapodilla tree is beautiful indeed!!! And the fruits are beauties too. How large a container are you using for this tree and how long have you had it? :-)

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got the tree for 2 years now. I just recently repotted it in a 16" pot. I have to say that the fruits took at least 9 months to get to this size. Maybe it will take a couple more weeks for the large one to ripen. The smaller one will take a couple more months...lol. The fruits grow a lot faster with the nice sun and heat. The fruits didn't grow much during the winter.

I tied almost every branches with fruit to a stake to prevent the branches from breaking. It seems to do fine with the recent storms.

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, ch3rri! It looks spectacular. So healthy!!! Can't believe the Sapodilla can thrive in a 16" pot with such beautiful fruits. 9 months is a very long time but it's worth the wait. Thank you again for sharing this with us!!!!

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Ch3rri! Just perused your blog. Your tropicals section is so cool. But where did you purchase the Indian Jujube and the "replacement gefner atemoya"? The later trees you purchased, appeared in a better condition when they arrived. :-)

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Indian Jujube I bought from top and the gefner I bought from Plantogram. I chopped the gefner down to 3 ft tall now so it can branch out more beautifully. There is no use in buying a tall tree. But Mickey from Plantogram is pretty good and he send out free tree with the order.:)

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Oh my! You chopped the gefner down to 3 ft tall??? Bold move! :-) I'm sure it will turn out beautifully as your other containerized tropicals are all looking so great with fruits too! :-)

As for the gefner, it was the one you had posted on 4/9/10 that we had a question about... The newer one from Plantogram looked so much better! :-)

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The one last year from PI came small but it grew pretty fast too. If you ask me the price I would get the PI since it's cheaper for shipping. But then Plantogram gives out free tree to compensate for the shipping cost. So I was happy with that too.:)

I had to chop the gefner small and I also chop my other atemoya smaller due to limited space. Everything on my deck is growing big and I have 6 fig trees on there which take up a lot of space. But I have to keep the fig trees there for now since they're fruiting now. I will have to find a better place for the figs. So...no more buying tree for now.:(

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

Hi, Ch3rri! Ah, yes you had mentioned the tree was very small with few roots. Glad it grew pretty fast after that! You take such great care of your tropicals despite the weather in PA! :-)

We have very little space left in the garden and so many more tropicals I would love to get! :-) Reviews that forum members such as yourself make on these tree purchases really helps newbie gardeners like us. Thanks a lot!!!

Happy gardening! :-)

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You must be talking about the replacement gefner from Top. That one is still very small. I have a total of 5 atemoya. That was the reason why I had to chop them smaller...lol. I'm also planting more sugar apple from seeds. :)

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

5 Atemoyas? You have such a large collection of everything. LOL!

Yes, I was referring to the replacement gefner. Wondering where that was from... Whew, at least we haven't considered Top.

Ch3rri, hope you don't mind my asking. How do you keep these tropical trees warm through the winter? It doesn't get very cold here but it sure is windy. Wondering how to over-winter tropicals. :-)

I keep reading about sugar apples. I think we should try it some time. It sounds delicious!!!

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hehehehe...I was moving my sapodilla and one of the fruit dropped...lol. It was ripe and it was not the biggest one. I'm going to eat that tonight.

I didn't mean to buy 5 atemoya. I bought the first one as Priestly. Didn't know that it was a Lisa so i ordered another one from PI. Then Top replaced a gefner but it was so small. I wanted a mature atemoya so I got the gefner from plantogram. I also planted from seed which is 2 year old now.

I plant all the trees in pots and bring them in before the winter.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the picture of the dropped sapodilla. It was ripen off the tree without me knowing. I guess I didn't expect it since the fruit is not that big compared to the others. It is more elongated compared to the makok. The flavor is very nice and the fruit was sweet. With this I declare that potted sapodilla taste just the same as the tree in ground. Now I'm waiting for the rest to ripe. :)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hello Kristi,
    I am happy to hear that you have found that your potted sapodillas where as good as the fruits grown on trees planted in the ground, that always makes it worth it. Great job. I am hoping to get a few alanos from Harry to try here soon so Ican make a decision on if I like them or not.
    Andrew

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting