Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Caimito will not fruit in SoCal.

newgen
12 years ago

I got one, the purple kind, a few months back, just because I love the fruits. Going in knowing that the chances of getting fruits are slim to none, I still bought it, just to see it growing. Today I spoke to Champa nursery in El Monte, CA. They confirmed that it will not fruit, they tell this to all their Caimito customers. Oh well, the tree still looks good in the pot, though. 8-)) I'm wondering if it can fruit in So Florida.

Comments (14)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I find it very difficult to believe what you have been told. They fruit heavily here is South Florida. They are not very wind resistant. They tend to uproot and tip over or snap at the base of the tree in heavy thunderstorms......nevermind hurricanes. But, fruiting is absolutely no problem. Why did the nursery say that they won't fruit there?

Harry

• pikorazi
    12 years ago

Caimito also fruit over here...

Felipe

• newgen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The employee there said that because of the low humidity in SoCal, same reason why lychees are poor producers here, and why rambutans won't fruit either.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Newgen,
    sounds like a challenge to me, give me a few more years to prove the employee wrong. ;)

they are beautiful trees,
    -Ethan

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Yeah, I think this can be a challenge you guys in the desert can conquer. Best of luck...good growing.

Harry

• stu123
    12 years ago

I talked to Roger Meyer several years back and he said Caimito doesn't fruit here in SoCal.

I've never tried it so can't speak from experience.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Ethan

you won't have to prove him wrong, they certainly DO fruit in Socal- I've seen a huge 12'-15' fruiting caimito tree in Cypress.

Newgen

Roger Meyer is a very knowable person but he told me a couple of years ago that Mamey Sapotes will not fruit in Socal that was until I showed him a pic of 10 meters fruiting Mamey tree 7 miles from his house.If you wish, I could give you the number of the gentleman that propagates them and fruits them in Cypress.

JF

• newgen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

JF: I would love to contact the person who has a fruiting Caimito.

Thanks!!!

• rodneys
    12 years ago

JF-I sent you an email. I would like to get in touch with the person in Cypress and observe/buy a tree.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Newgen,

ematl me.

JF

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Anyone who sends me an email please identify yourselve with your moniker or I will not reply.

JF

• ToShorty
    12 years ago

jfernandez

How big was the caimito fruit? was it like a golf ball?
    it can have fruit in socal( depend on areas, most humidity), just because it blooms at the wrong season( in winter mostly)so the fruits can only grow up to an egg size.

Of course it can have fruit in Florida and Hawaii, because it humid throughout the year.

Roger Meyer was right about the Mamey "BEFORE". It cannot have fruit in Socal back then including chico sapote. Now you see, the weather in socal is getting more and more humid. that's why you see the mamey and chico sapote start getting fruits. But not much, only few.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Its not getting any more humid in soucal..but for sure its warmer. L.A. is 11f warmer (day + nights)in winter then it was in the 1940's I read. Thats the trend in California's urban and coastal areas..warmer winter nights,with occasional longer summer heat waves..except for this year on the hot.
    I can tell you even here in the bay area-its much milder in winter lows then back in the 1960's. Back then,a few early mornings every other year I saw frozen over puddles of water,Now? never.

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

I have a caimito tree too. It is 6 years old now and never flower for me. I'm wondering will it ever flower and fruit. Anyone planted a caimito in pot and fruited or even flowered?

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists