Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st Mangosteen

Posted by yaslan 8 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 17:02

Photobucket Photobucket

I was wondering what all the fuss was about Mangosteen, so, I bought some at the Asian Market. They were $5.95/lbs. Surprisingly, they were a lot better than I expected. It was a mixture of sweet and sour and actually reminded me of the cherimoya. But, the seeds were too big and not enough meat on there for me to buy it again. Overall, I think it was a good experience and thank goodness it didn't taste horrible.
Bo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st Mangosteen

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I first tried them as well. They were good, but a good mango, lychee, or even cherimoya blow them away IMO.

o

bo,

those mangosteens look old to me; the 'leaves' on the top of the fruits are brown and dried out. vendors in thailand explained to me, that those leaves should always be green. so the ones you eat should not have been 100% good...

john,

i would be carefull making a judgement on fruits just by eating a few. there a too many factors that effect the taste (harvest, climate, soil, cultivar..). maybe you didn't eat good mangostens?!

the first two or three mangosteens i eat (in germany) were nothing special to me. but after eating them fresh in thailand i started to love them. right now they are in my top 5 list of all the fruit i have tasted!

felipe

o

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 18:50

The first mangosteen fruit I ever tasted we were at a small train station about midway between Rangoon and Pagan in Burma.

When we pulled into the station, several vendors came up to the windows offering a kilo of mangosteens for about 10 cents US.

I was told later the the mangosteen orchards were only a few miles from that rail station. Those were fresh!

The imported ones I've had in California and even Taiwan only reminded me of what they taste like fresh, but they weren't nearly as good.

o

To me, I think it tastes somewhere inbetween a really good orange and mango. I absolutely love that. The shell is really astringent...worse than a banana peel. So be careful not to get it into your mouth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here