Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Mangos and Canistel and Sapotes, Oh My!

gcmastiffs
16 years ago

My counter top looks quite festive with a variety of Mangos, beautiful Canistels and a huge SueBelle White Sapote. I bought them from Excalibur Rare Fruit tree nursery, fresh off the trees.

The Canistel has an odd texture, but the taste is pleasant, mild and leaves a nice, sweet aftertaste. Reminds us of pumpkin pie. I froze some to use later in smoothies. The White Sapote is just now ripe and is chillin' for dessert tonight(G). The Mango medley is to be used in a fruit tasting at a get-together of local Garden Web folks tomorrow.

The "Nanas below are ones I grew. I think they are Ele Ele, but all my tags were lost in the storms. Delicious, sweet fruits that were gobbled up in a hurry!

What are you all sampling now?

Lisa

Comments (11)

• Lady
    16 years ago

I'm not a fan of canistel but would love that white sapote. I am eating hayden mangos, mulberries, and ladyfinger bananas. Expect to have raja puri and more ladyfinger bananas in a week.

• daai_tou_laam
    16 years ago

Emperor Mango from Thailand
    {{gwi:1322040}}

Golden Narcissus Mango from Thailand
    {{gwi:1322041}}

Ai Wen Mango from Taiwan
    {{gwi:1322042}}
    (translated to something like: "the language of love", though it sounds nearly homophonic to "I win", which it does in the Taiwanese breeding of a red mango.)

Kesar Mango from India
    {{gwi:1322043}}

Wo Ji "Harmonious Lychee" w/Kennedy Half-dollar for comparison
    {{gwi:1322044}}

Various Thai Fruits: Salak, Kanyao Durian, and an Annona
    {{gwi:1322047}}

• dghays
    16 years ago

Great spread of fruits! I like canistel quite a bit. Had some canistel 'nog' which was excellent, enjoy them fresh also. I'd imagine canistel pie would be great too. Planted a 'Ross Sapote' tree a couple months ago, like canistel but superior in taste. My larger canistel is over 6' now, in flower, but they don't seem to be sticking. Saw a different post where someone said they enjoyed the Florigon the most out of the ones you brought. I've had Florigon once, it was great. Which did you enjoy the most Lisa? Met Treefrog on Friday by the way.

Gary

• franktank232
    16 years ago

That red mango looks like a plum. Wow. Those all look yummy. Durian reminds me of brains.

• red_sea_me
    16 years ago

wow,
    as usual, I'm green with envy and drooling while typing.
    Let me know if any of your neighbors move Lisa, I might need to relocate. Tom, you are pretty darn lucky fellow too, fruit looks great.

Right now, I'm harvesting grapes and tomatoes by the ton, does that count for anything?

-Ethan

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, those Mangos are beautiful!

We had a Mango tasting at a get-together in Jupiter on Sunday. A link to the thread is below. The Mango tasting was a huge hit! Gary, we would have loved to have had you there to meet you, feed you, and pick your brain! We had a BLAST!

I'm a poor judge of Mangos, because I like **all** of them! Some people liked Carrie, others hated it. Everyone liked Florigon, and the unknown ones from Excalibur. There were so many varieties that I have forgotten most of them. The "unknown" was my fault. I'm allergic to Mango sap, and just asked for the fellow at Excalibur to bag up 10 pounds of nearly ripe fruits for a party. They were great- strong, sweet, but with a complex flavor that lasted.

The SueBelle White Sapote was liked by all but one person at the party. He said it tasted sour/medicinal, but everyone else, myself included, found it sweet and pleasing.

We had a terrific DragonFruit too! It was HUGE, red exterior with a white interior. It was delicious with a squirt of Lime juice! We made a game out of eating Miracle Fruits, and then Limes. What Fun!

I feel lucky to live in S. Florida, with lots of GW friends who love to get together for swaps, nursery tours, and parties where we all talk about plants! (G)

Hey Ethan, lucky you getting Tomatoes now! It is much too hot here for all but the toughest grape Tomatoes.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Treefrog's Party

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Just sipping a canistel smoothie when I noticed this thread!
    Lisa was kind enough to leave me some frozen canistel Sunday.
    It's really growing on me. At first I thought it had a chalky aftertexture, but with a little extra vanilla ice cream and a dash of pineapple juice it's wonderful!

A question, Lisa. Is that large round seed you left from the SueBelle White Sapote? I liked it very much.
    I'll try to germinate it. Wonder if the tree will produce the same fruit or an inferior one.

Treefrog

• dghays
    16 years ago

TF, white sapote is a long variable road from seed.

Gary

• gcmastiffs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Treefrog, yes, the round seed is from the SueBelle. I started some, just for fun, and they are already up! I also cracked a bunch of Canistel seeds and planted them too. Will plant the Cashew today, after showing it off at work. Not one person there could ID it(G). Did you score the Cashew nut or not, before planting? I'm worried about spilling the caustic oils from it.

From what I've read, Canistels grown from seeds can start producing in 3-6 years. White Sapotes from seed, 5-7 years.

I bought a Suebelle tree, so am trying the seeds just for amusement.

Lisa

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

I thought it might be, Gary.
    Probably not worth the long wait to see what grows.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Lisa,
    Don't score or break open the cashew seeds. That oil will burn your skin!
    I planted 3 seeds a little over a week ago. They germinated with eruptive force, pushing up a mound of soil and sturdy cotyledon, with a true leaf Very quickly.
    Cashew would be a wonderful plant to do a time lapse of germination.
    I understand they grow fast and begin to bear within a few years.
    Did you try some cashew apple with miracle fruit?