Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abayomi_gw

The Mango Diet

abayomi
12 years ago

After visiting both Harry's and Fairchild Festival, I have an embarrassing volume of mangoes in my possession which must all be eaten before I land back home. I had to calculate the number of mangoes per day, which I won't reveal in order to not put my love for the mango too far out there.

sure you can guess or else say what is the most mangoes you have eaten in a week.

here I will put some notes on the varieties and my experience with them.

And no, contrary to popular opinion, no issues with my intestinal tract...

it all started at Harry's on Friday eve...(to be continued)

Comments (11)

• sleep
    12 years ago

During the 6 week peak of mango season, I eat at least 10 mangoes per day.

I gained 8 lbs this season :)

• abayomi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nothing like company. I'm not up to 8 so i feel saner already...

Mind you size makes all the difference. I just finished eating a big Cushman from Harry. I couldn't eat any thing else in tha sitting. Refreshing smell, sweet pineapplish flesh. Divine especially for a mango of this size.

A few days ago I ate 3 okrung in one session with plenty of room to spare. ( I guess if I was getting technical I should have referred to pounds of mango per day but that is getting too deep.)

• abayomi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is what I have eaten so far. In some cases multiples of the same variety.

Provost - citrus like scent, medium large fruit with small seed, lots of flesh, yellow flesh, light green skin, fibreless, sweet
    Kent - fibreless, sweet, orange flesh, relatively rich, medium size
    Valencia - large, fruity, sweet, can be large (several pounds)
    Okrung - small, disease resistance low, very sweet, rich
    Extrema - rich taste. ÃÂ Excellent, medium to large
    Maha chinook - sweet, small thin seed so small size still yields lots of flesh
    Ivory - almost sickly sweet, fruity scent, fibreless. ÃÂ Thin seed. ÃÂ Divine.
    Lemon meringue - subtle lemony meringue taste per the name, sweet.
    Malika seedling - fibre but sweet/sour rich taste. Juicy.
    Manzanillo - divinely fibreless and sweet, almost a pure jelly. ÃÂ Small fruit but lots of flesh due to small seed.
    Israel - large size. ÃÂ Average taste. ÃÂ Thought this wasn't fully ripe as it was still relatively firm but it was ripe.
    Alphonso - ÃÂ not 100% ripe so not a proper judgement but average taste, some fibre. ÃÂ Small. ÃÂ Turpentine like hints there (which isn't necessarily a bad thing in some fruit)
    Gouvea - didn't take notes right after eating but I seem to recall a fairly rich taste. ÃÂ Decent mango.

I am running out of time with at least 5 mangoes that haven't ripened. Took a page out of the Asia book per Frankie of Hawaii's talk and ate some unripe mango with hot sauce. Actually enjoyed it. Apparently early in the season many people across African and Asian countries do this with various things like salt, soy sauce, hot sauce etc. With only a day left, looks like more green mango to eat before I go.

• abayomi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot to add Shwe Hin Tha mango which was also a decent mango.

• abayomi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh and spirit of 76. Juicy, sweet, good tasting mango. Great taste for fairly large size.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Ohh I'm so glad to finally hear how the Ivory mango tastes! I grafted a couple last year simply because the tree was ridiculously loaded with fruit. I never got to try one though because they were not ripe at the time. The tree that I saw looked similar to this one with clusters of fruit hanging everywhere - and this was last year when the mango harvest was very poor. So, with high production and great taste, I wonder why it hasn't been commercially propagated.

Jeff

• abayomi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just ate my last Ivory. I haven't tasted a better mango. Of all those eaten, despite the relatively low volume of flesh per mango, I would rate it at number one. The scent, delicate taste and sweetness were unmatched among the ones listed above. That last one eaten Was not fully ripe ( still some green skin) yet was just as good. Divine really.

Also ate a "topundi" mango. This is the name that appeared to be written on the fruit. But it isn't clear to me. Anyone heard of this or a similar name? I'll post a picture of the mango with the name on it. It again wasn't fully ripe so can't comment on taste.

Lastly, I just ate the Osteen. Did not expect much as the mango was still hard. I was surprised how much juice flowed as I cut into the skin. Does this mango stay firm when ripe? It still wasn't at peak ripeness but certainly ripe. Small seed for a decent sized mango. Decent taste but eating anything after an Ivory made tr seem so so....

This is the last of my mango diet. Now on the planting seeds...

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the extended description of the Ivory mango. I'm going to plant that boy out!

Harry - did you plant yours out yet?

Jeff

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Yes, I sure did, Jeff. Thanks for scouting that one out. Looks like a nice addition. Its doing well in my yard. Thanks to you also, Abayomi, for the report.

Harry

• abayomi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No problem. I spent the day back home now, dehusking mango seeds and bagging them up with damp paper towel. I had some from my prior trip and adding to this trip I counted 42 seeds (not including those that rotted). All told, a great 2 trips.

Any comments on the "topundi"? I need to post a picture. It looks like a wider version of maha chinook.

• abayomi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After sharing pictures from the festival, a co-worker immediately recognized the mango as "Totapuri". I wasn't looking to him to identify it so it was a great benefit from sharing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Totapuri

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio