Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherimoya Help

Posted by wizzard419 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 17:30

I started growing an El Bumpo tree a few years back and last year it had fruit set for the first time. I only had a few set and what I noticed was that they grew for a while (to about the size of a seed) and then stopped, got soft and fell off in the middle of summer.

Any ideas on what caused this? Was it still to young to produce, not enough nutrients, etc.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherimoya Help

Sounds like aborted fruit from a flower that was not pollinated?

o

In this case I'm pretty sure it was pollinated since I've seen what happens when they aren't (from other flowers on the tree)

o

I haven't ever fruited a cherimoya, but I have seen this happen in Sugar apple, atemoya and most recently, rollinia. There is a definite difference in a flower that has no pollination and one that at least has some level of pollination. As far as I observed, an unpollinated flower goes into male phase, sheds pollen and then drops with absolutely no fruitlet appearance. When pollinated, the flower doesn't go into male phase. Instead, a small fruitlet forms and then, eventually starts gaining size until it is mature. There seems to be a fair amount of fruitlets that do not fully develop. They get to a small size and then turn black and drop. I recently experienced this with 100% frutilet drop on my rollinia that was blooming for the first time. Intially, I had about 10 fruitlets that formed initially. The loss of all ten was somewhat of a mystery to me. We did have a severe drought at the time but I provided some additional hydration. In talking with friends that have fruited rollinias previously, they had a similar experience with the early blooming. The concensus seems to be that the immaturity of the tree is the main factor. It was suggested that the tree must reach a "critical mass" of blooms that allows for the dropping of a number of these frutilets that, for whatever reason, are doomed to turn black and drop. So, I am not sure that this is the full answer to the problem. Nutrients, heat, moisture may all have some responsibility in this problem. Observations continue.

Harry

o

That might be it, I've heard that it needs to be at least 8 feet tall for it to be able to support fruit, so I might just be under the min threshold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here