Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

air layering muntingia and wax jambu any tips?

red_sea_me
15 years ago

I recently purchased a Jamaican Strawberry (muntingia calabura), wax jambu (syzygium samarangense), and blackberry jam fruit (randia formosa) from Top Trop. They sent large trees but thanks to USPS, they arrived pretty beat up. Fortunately they have recovered and started to push new growth.

The muntingia and syzygium are actually fairly large trees that for my purposes need to be trimmed. Rather than just trim the branches, I thought about airlayering them. This would allow me duplicates for experiments, trades, or even recouping my initial costs.

Any tips or experience with air layering these trees or airlayering in general?

thanks for your help,

-Ethan

Comments (15)

• macawbirdbreeder
    15 years ago

get the dvd from crfg. It is the best one ever
    put together for public consumption. I have watched
    my copy many times.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

When you make the cuts, just make sure there is no cambium layers left between the cuts or it could heal back over. I did one on my longan. I just sprinkled some rooting hormone over the cut area and really wet some spagnum moss. Cover/wrapped the whole thing and sealed it up good. I then covered it in aluminum foil to keep out light. The hardest part is the wait!

• popper1
    15 years ago

The Muntingia roots pretty easily from cuttings.

David, Fl

• eyeckr
    15 years ago

I'm actually in the process of airlayering my muntingia in the exact fashion that ohiojay just described above. They do tend to shoot up and grow pretty lanky. Mine has been very prolific and rewarded me with some yummy fruits. I have the rare white fruited variety but would like to add the red one sometime.

I haven't tried airlayering Wax Jambu but find them very easy to root from cuttings. All the cuttings that are at least a centimeter to a half inch in diameter root for me but anything smaller usually just dies off. I've got some going now that are about ready to be moved up into larger pots.

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you all for the input,

I'll have to try to track down that DVD, CRFG put out some nice stuff. I think I'll try air layering as opposed to cuttings, of late, my luck has been off with cuttings.

Jay how big of a distance between the cuts, small (1cm) or large (1/2") on a branch 1" in dia? Wonder if a larger space (to a point) would relate to more rooting area? How long did you wait for your longan? Did you remoisten the peat at any pont?

Eyeckr, I think the common name for your white muntingia is Panama Cherry? The is a large nursery (fruit destination) named Exotica in San Diego, CA. They have one of the white ones growing right next to a red (on a hillside). Based soley on my observations the white appears more cold tolerant. The red was still recovering from the 06/07 freeze while the white had fruit on it. Maybe in the future we could trade white for red?

thanks again,
    -Ethan

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

figured out my distance question Jay, internet is amazing. Still, how long did it take and did you remoisten the peat?

-Ethan

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

I did remoisten the peat periodically...since I was being nosy about the progress I thought I might as well perform a useful function. It took a good 3 months and there was really only one nice root, you could see the rest forming around a knot. Got tired of it and went ahead and removed the branch at that point. Took a while for the new plant to get going but it did fine.

• Eggo
    15 years ago

check out gardenweb's JoeReal's homepage for links. He has a good how-to on airlaying. It is very helpful for anyone trying it out for the first time.

Here is a link that might be useful: joereal member page

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

Eggo?? Eggo? Is that really you or someone impersonating you?! Did you trip and find an internet connection?!! LOL! Good to see you posting again. As punishment for being gone so long, we'd like some details on how your plants are doing and lots of pics of course.

• eyeckr
    15 years ago

Red Sea me funny how you mention Exotica nursery since that's where I got mine. Great place to visit and I enjoyed the fruit tasting table. I guess they're the only ones who have the white form available. I thought Panama Cherry, Latires, Jamaican Cherry, Muntingia and Strawberry tree were all interchangeable so I'm not sure. No prob about a trade. Just send me a PM.
    I did take a pic of my airlayer set up:

I probably could of used a larger ball of peatmoss but it should be okay. Every now and then I use a syringe and inject more water in the mass to keep it moist.

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eyeckr, I sent you a PM.

Thanks Eggo, I've some mango genetics for you (Lancetilla and Valencia Pride)

Good ole Joe Real, is there any propagation that he can't do?

• Eggo
    15 years ago

lol, Jay good to see you too! I've just been a little bit occupied but it's good to see how active the forum is. I'll try to get some pics up but nothing new growing here.

thanks Red, I'll PM later this week for a possible trade.

• tonylam12000_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

HI WHERE DID YOU PURCHASED THE MUNTINGIA CALABURA ? HOW TALL AND PRICE ? THANKS .I LOOKING FOR ONE

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hello Tony,
    I purchased my tree from Top (spam control) Tropicals in FL. They sent a fruiting size tree.

good luck,
    -Ethan

• Chrobrego (Orlando 9b)
    7 years ago

For the Muntingia, just cut off a branch, trim off the bottom leaves, some rooting hormone, stick in dirt, water. That's it. During the growing season, it will take root quickly and form a beautiful new plant. I've never seen a plant root so quickly from a cutting.