Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taste Profile for Tropical Pink Guava?

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 17:59

We got a small tree at a nursery, put it in ground and now it has 3 mangos on it. They are pretty small, like the size of a big green olive.

I have never tasted a mango, so could someone tell me how to know if they are ripe and sort of describe the flavor...

Like do they taste like peaches, mangos, pineapple, acid, sweet, perfume?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taste Profile for Tropical Pink Guava?

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 16:01

mango or guava?

my pink guava is mild, sweet, a little grainy. It tastes like...guava. Doesn't make me think of any other fruit.

I pick as soon as they start to turn yellow--gotta get them before the fruit flies do--then ripen on the counter. This year I got fruit fly bait, so may not have such a problem.

The fruit on my tree (it's about 5 years old) ranges from chicken egg to turkey egg in size.

o

I meant guava. We got a mango the same day. It has no fruit, but I do know what they taste like.

So your pink guava is picked when turning yellow? Nice to know they ripen on the counter. Figs don't. I fight birds over those.

Thanks for the flavor description. I guess it's just pink inside.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 17:59

"my pink guava is mild, sweet, a little grainy. It tastes like...guava. Doesn't make me think of any other fruit."

Definitely agreed I love them as juice, cooking with them, sauces... unfortunately every one I planted got scale infestations so out they came. Pink guava when ripening in my kitchen have the greatest aroma!

Anyway, I now grow lemon and strawberry guava which are not as good but they're nice and bushy, and seem immune to scale.

o

Interesting. Scale. Our citrus get scale, but a wipe with alcohol gets rid of them fast. We get mealy bugs also, and they go away with soapy water.

I'm really looking forward to my first taste, and I will let them ripen in the kitchen. The tree is getting really big, so next year we should be able to make juice. Fingers crossed the mango fruits next year too.

Thanks for the flavor profile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here