Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raja Puri Family of 3 bearing fruit all at the same time

Posted by bananafan 9b fl (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 18:20

I was pleasantly surprised today to realize that 3 members of the same banana family are bearing fruit at the same time. I know one of them is the mother plant and the other two probably siblings. I haven't seen this happen before, but that doesn't mean it won't. Still I was rather amazed with this variety of banana. Besides its cold hardiness and it's also a prolific bearer.

So, I'm looking forward to the harvest probably sometime in the Fall. The fruit quality of this banana has also been consistently good so far. Compared to my Ladyfinger which is also somewhat a regular fruit bearer, but it has berries that are small and skinny and sometimes will even dry off before reaching maturity. I've been thinking of getting rid of them as it seems just a waste of effort and precious space planting them. By the way, they are rather chunky and it's a bother to get rid of them when they're done fruiting. Whereas, the Raja Puri is a petitto and will mature and even bear fruit at 5 ft of height.

Here are some pictures I've taken of my Raja Puri today:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raja Puri Family of 3 bearing fruit all at the same time

Some close up pictures of the bananas

o

Another picture

o

Nice. You could cut off the flower right below the fruit though to save the plant from having to spend its energy on the flowers, unless you kept them for aesthetics.

AJ

o

Thanks, AJ. I've tried cutting off the flower on my Ladyfinger and the fruit did turn out looking good. Perhaps it's because of their own poor fruit quality to begin with. i haven't tried cutting the blooms of my Raja Puri yet. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how things fare. I've heard both versions, cut and not to cut. Will have to experiment more to be more sure.

o

Nice looking trees, good info on them, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here