Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Lychee Question

Posted by blueboy1977 TX9A/B (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 18:29

Hi everyone! My first post on the tropical forum although Ive spent many many hours on the Fruit and Orchard Forum. I have a Sweetheart Lychee that I got from a fruit tree sale this past Feb here in Houston Tx. Not sure how old the tree is but if I had to guess its probably around 2 or 3 years of age now. It was in a 15 gallon pot and I up potted it to a 25 gallon pot when I got it. Its proabably 6ft wide and tall now. I let it fruit and it only held on to 3 fruits. They are almost completely red now with just a touch of green still showing on the shell. I know its a little late in the season for fruit to be ripening but it is what it is. Ive read that you should prune around 6 inches off the branches in July after all the fruit has been harvested. Im getting ready to pull the 3 fruit in the next couple days but the problem Im having is whether or not I should prune all the branches. I know I will prune the 2 branches that have the fruit but all the other branches are currently pushing new growth. Should I prune all the branches any way including pruning off the new growth? From what Ive read, you prune in July and that will set some kind of biological clock in a Lychee and if all goes well it will have a growth flush in the cooler temps of winter to morph into flower penicals. If I dont prune the new growth thats occuring as we speak will that mess up the flowering/growing cycle?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Lychee Question

Hi and Congrats on your fruits...actually there are several varieties of lychees that are ripening right now...so you are inline with your fruits ripening. I have Mauritius which ripens in Mid June but others do ripen around the first and second week of July...

Not an expert...but If it were my tree I would prune all the branches...if you want you can leave the branches with the new growths unless they are too tall for you and if they are you can cut those off as well...I would remove about 6-12" depending on how much you want to take off (your choice) July 15th is the recommended date...give or take according to Lycheesonline.com. I just pruned mine last month after I harvested my Lychees and they are flushing on every branch.

Do you what variety you have?

Here's my Mauritius taken June 29...you can see all the nice new growths flushing

Good luck!!

o

Nice, thanks for responding! The variety I have is Sweetheart. The new growth is not too tall and if a lychee is like any other fruit tree it should bloom on the new growth or will bloom on any new growth as long as the temp is below 68 degrees? These Lychee dont seem to be a typical fruit tree. Just about every branch is pushing growth at this point. The one branch that had the fruit on it I cut back about 6 inches or so. I guess I could prune back any branches that arent pushing right now to give them a jolt. The other branches Im not so sure about. I wonder if only pruning the ones not pushing and leaving the ones that are will have them off sync? It may be best to just cut back all of them so they push at the same time?

o

If I remember it right, Lychee doesn't need pruning to bear fruit, just like mango. You may want to prune to control its form, or remove branches in wrong place, but not require for stimulating next your fruits, not like grape vine requires pruning. The bigger the tree the more fruits it can carry. Same for Longan too.

Sapote

o

Thats what I was looking for Sapote, thanks for the info;)

o

Here's a great little article from lycheesonline.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Tips forLycheesonline... Geting Your Lychee Tree to Procude Fruit

o

Puglvr1,

Your lychee Mauritius sure looks healthy with all the brilliant light green flushes covering its canopy. So, did you start pruning soon after your harvest in June?

I just collected the last of the skimpy fruit harvest from my Hak Ip and now have started to prune all of my lychee trees. The crazy thing about my lychee trees is that they flush as and whenever they want to. I printed a copy of the lychee growth cycle chart from lycheesonline and the time period was from July to Jan.
I think mine was flushing randomly due to their not fruiting for the most part. Anyway, when I was pruning them today, I just had to cut off a lot of new growth as well. The leaves for these new growth are beginning to darken, but you can tell their stems are still greenish and not dark brown. i hope that is ok to do so.

I hope to see them flush in August if everything I'm doing here is right on track :) i have started to feed them lightly end of June and will do so every end of the month until they bloom.

Will post some pictures of my lychee trees in August. As always, thanks Puglvr for sharing your pictures and the tips for caring for your lychees here.

o

I understand why Puglvr needs to prune the tree. This is to fool the trees to flower in warm southern FL. This is not necessary for other climate that have enough cold winter, like where I live 91501 CA.

Thanks for the link -- great information.

Sapote

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here