Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gomera Mango for Mediterranean climates..

Posted by stanofh (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 14 at 18:59

I ran across that on the net. The nursery claims it perfect for cool wet winters and dry summer Med climates. I'm dubious that California growers wouldn't have tried that type by now if it was that exceptional. Still,anybody interested or ever seen one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gomera Mango for Mediterranean climates..

I've heard of it stan - actually quite awhile ago, but don't remember where......it's quite the hype. If true (and if it tastes great) a lot of folks would benefit from it!

MDog

o

I guess if my tree continues on? I should sell cuttings of it as coastal cal and SF bay hardy "new" Mango!.
Except for the cover below 32f part...

o

• Posted by jalilu Sunset Zone 23/24 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 7:10

Hello Stan

In Southern Spain commercially grown mango trees (mainly Osteen and Keitt) are grafted on Gomera rootstocks. So the answer is yes, this variety is perfect for cool wet winters and dry summer Med climates. If you are interested, you could look for plants at Viveros Brokaw. Apparently they have a branch in Saticoy, CA.

http://www.viverosbrokaw.com/empresa_en.html

Jalilu

o

Hey,thanks Jaliliu. I will look into that. Might turn out to be a hidden gem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here