Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

Updated pics of my tropical trees

ch3rri
15 years ago

Just want to share pictures of some of my blooming tropical fruit trees.

Guava

Sugar apple

Priestly atemoya

Hasya sapodilla forming fruits

Dwarf pomegranate blooming

Lots of new growths forming on my sweetheart lychee

That's it for now.

Comments (9)

• jeff-n-jessa
    15 years ago

WOW - that's awesome! Where do you live? I'm in western NY, zone 5b I think. What do you do with your plants in the winter?

I'm so envious of the sugar apples - I may call jene's to see if it's too late to switch out one of the guava!

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I live in Aston, PA. Very close to Philadelphia. I bring my trees in the house in the winter. I have a morning room and also a basement. Now that I have more trees, I will have to left some in the basement with grow lights. My dragon fruit grow real well too but no flower or fruit yet. Sugar apple or atemoya is great. I heard a lot of people like the atemoya better because the fruit is bigger and chewier.

• ohiojay
    15 years ago

I noticed your sugar apple and atemoya, both related, look very sparse leaf-wise, and that some of the leaves look yellowish and turning brown. My plants go thru this very same thing each year and it is very disturbing. Like yours, I continue to see new growth flushes but older leaves quickly turn bad and drop. I've not had a year yet where this has not happened.

Over a month ago, I sent branches and leaves to our Ohio State University extension plant diagnostics services to see what is going on and how to treat. They must be completely stumped because I have heard nothing back from them and they usually have a very fast turn-around time. Not very encouraging! It would be nice if they would at least contact me and tell me what they've done and have found/not found so far.

Keep us up to date and your plants above.

• lycheeluva
    15 years ago

great pics ch3rri. r u planning on building a greenhouse at some point?

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Great job, ch3rri...thanks for sharing your photos. Keep us updated!

• north_tree_man
    15 years ago

Great pics!

• red_sea_me
    15 years ago

nice pics, very exciting to have flower buds on the SA and fruit on the sapodilla.

congrats,
    -Ethan

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohio- It's normal for the SA to drop leaves. Because the flowers come with new growth. My friend in CA actually pull them off if they don't drop. As for my Atemoya, the old leaves fell off when it was shipped. Guess it was a good thing since lots of new leaves and flowers start. I heard they were suppose to lose their leaves in the fall and go dormant and then grow new leaves in the spring. Since I bring them in when the weather is cold they didn't lose their leaves until I brought them out in the spring. So the flowering is kinda late. The fruit is not going to ripe until November. Last year I got my first fruit and it was sweet but too many seeds. Hopefully, this year it will be better.

I'm not sure if I can build a greenhouse or not. I'm still planning but it might not be until a couple years later. For now they will have to be in my morning room or in the basement during the winter. I would love to get a greenhouse...but got to save up first.lol.

My sapodilla flowers has turned into fruits. At least one is like the size of a dime. Hopefully it will not drop. I'm excited with all the new growth on my trees.

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

Uh, now you have made me put sugar apple on my list of things to buy. You guys REALLY need to stop posting pics of your tropicals (at least the ones that I don't have). Great looking plants.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals