Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Yard Update 7/17/11

hmhausman
12 years ago

Its been a busy mango season. My apologies to those that I was going to try to mail mangoes to. Things have been a bit hectic with some family medical issues. I was not able to do what I had intended to do. I am still threatening doing some airlayers on various things. I hope I have better follow through than I did on mango shipping. In anycase, here's some update on what's going on in the yard.

I finally will get to try my abiu that has only fruited one time before this only to be stolen when it was ripened while i was away.

From Jul 17, 2011
From Jul 17, 2011

A couple of 5 pound Lancetilla mangoes....you know, that condo mango that everyone wants to grow.

From Jul 17, 2011

Sugar apple tree with good fruit set:

From Jul 17, 2011

Illama "Genova Red"

From Jul 17, 2011
From Jul 17, 2011

Grapes anyone? Tari's Burgundy Bunch is the cultivar. Hey Ethan....you make a heck of a beer, do you do wine also?

From Jul 17, 2011

One of the mangoes that I haven't tried yet, San Felipe, one of the curator's choice from Fairchild.

From Jul 17, 2011

One of the new plantings, compliments of Mango Kush, its St. Maui. I heard some good reports about it from Murahilin even though Top says that it has a rich, guava-like flavor. That didn't sound too good....but, I figured I'd give it a chance.

Bryan: When I planted it I was surprised to see the potting mix that you were using. It looked like what you'd use to plant blueberries. Lots of peat and pine bark.

No sand or any other drainage enhancing material.

From Jul 17, 2011

Another of the mangoes I haven't tried yet....Madame Blanc. There are two fruits nestled in there somewhere.

From Jul 17, 2011

The Ivory mango...new planting....grafted by Jeff hagen and commented on favorably (to put it mildly) by Abayomi.

From Jul 17, 2011

All for now.

Harry

Comments (24)

• jsvand5
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congrats on the Abiu. That's on of those trees that I am still thinking of buying. Yours are seedlings right?

How do those grapes taste? I have been looking for a grape that tastse good and will do well down here.

• stressbaby
    12 years ago

Harry,

My abiu from PR is now about 12 inches...how long do you think it will be before I have a fruit? ;-)

Nice pics.

Robert

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Harry,

Awesome pics as always. Congratulations on the Abiu. You do such an unbelievable job. It is one of the fruits that I have been dying to try myself. How long before yours fruited? And the "Genova Red" ilama, boy does your tree along with the others look Great. Any chance in a getting some Budwood from your "Red Genova"? I bought what I thought was a "Red Genova" ilama last year, and it turned out to be something completely different, most likely an Atemoys.

I was just curious about the "E-Daw" Longan Air-layers you were going to put on a while bank. Any Luck?

Anyways, thanks for the Great Pictures.

Jacob

• invar69
    12 years ago

I'd like to hear about what you think about 'San Felipe' once you try it. Great yard pics!

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

WOW HARRY! Looking good!

I am getting a good growth flush on my 'Maha Chinook' right now. I was getting a little(VERY UNDERSTATED) concerned when the new leaves were coming out green but now are a nice reddish color.

Still am having trouble with Carrie. I need to get this darn USB fixed. All the branches are black. I was thinking it was still that black mold but not sure. I am going to try spraying it again with the rubbing alcohol. That's what I Did when it first started.

Your sugar apples are looking really good Harry! Still a fruit I have yet to try.

I hear ya on the family medical problems. Right now I am having a hell of a time with my back. I am pretty sure that there going to be ordering another back surgery.

Yesterday I lifted out a clump of basjoo bananas. I met a woman that lives about 40 minutes from me. She's a fig freak and probobly grows around 150. I saw the list one time but don't remember how many were there exactly. Anyhow, I could barely get that shovel into the ground but I did it.

She gave me 4 varieties of figs about a month ago for a sugar apple seedling. I got Tena, Broad Leaf Black Jack, and Violette de Bordeaux. The VDB I have wanted for a long time. Ever since jacob had posted pics of his.

Thanks to Shehaan I got my Black pepper vine and Mayon Chid maprang.

I am VERY excited(and a little nervous) about growing the maprang.

I was actually thinking about ya the other day. Our cherry season is in full swing now.

Andrew

• newgen
    12 years ago

Nice collection. Couple months ago, I asked Lowe's to order some Abiu for me, they called this morning and said that their source, La Verne Nursery, doesn't know what the heck that is. 8-))

How old is your sugar apple tree? How cold hardy is it?

Thanks,

• sleep
    12 years ago

Looks great Harry. Can't wait to hear you review of the Abiu

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Great pics Harry! I'm also looking forward towards your review on the Abiu fruit.

• swrancher
    12 years ago

Everything looks good. From a few things I have seen and read I suspect the Ivory mango could be the same variety as the Tong Bi Cong mango, do the trees look at all alike?

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Yard is a beaut as always Harry. Abiu looks great, monster of a fruit, hope is tastes as good. Your Lancetillas look much larger than mine, of course so does your tree. Your illama...........wow! Is this year the most fruits ever? Grapes look great but no, no patience for wine. Besides I live in CA, we have it coming out of our faucets. Glad to see you are still planting out new things, cant wait for the update.

thanks for your update into paradise,
    -Ethan

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

NICE Pictures Harry! We appreciate the update. Wow...I can't get over all the grapes! Thanks for the great photos!! Truly enjoyed looking at them.

• MangoDoc
    12 years ago

Harry, Hope all is well with the family! Could you please give us some more information on your grapes. Can you eat them fresh, or they for wine?
    Been busy with mango season also up this way. People at the gate 8:00am every morning, and you can't tell them you aren't open yet. :)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice pictures! I especially love the shot with the loaded grape vines.

• squam256
    12 years ago

I'm very curious to hear about how the San Felipe turns out.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kind comments to those that were kindly commenting.

John and Robert: Yes, my Abius are seedlings from PIN. One I think is a seedling of the cultivar "Gray"...however, I think that the "Gray" seedling is the tree that has never fruited to maturity. This was the first year I even noticed small pea sized fruits forming......but they all turned black and dropped. The conventional wisdom is that the average seed to fruit time period is 4-8 years. I think from my experience that the latter time is closer to most likely fruiting time.

Mango Doc and John: This grape is supposedly a Burgundy Bunch grape...not that I know any difference between them once I get beyond the skin color and whether they are seedless or not. These grapes are prolific here in Florida, as you can see. They do have seeds and are small. So there isn't a lot of flesh in each grape to enjoy, but what is there is sweet and delicious. You just have to get by either swallowing or spitting the seeds and getting a low flesh to fruit ratio...something I am not very fond of. I could send cuttings if you are interested.

Jacob: You can have Genova red budwood. It is best to send in early spring, just before the tree breaks dormancy. Remind me around then and I'll send you some. Sorry, I haven't put the layers on the E daw longan as of yet. I usually wait until fruiting season is over. So, if I have the chance, I'll be putting some on in the next month or so.

Andrew: Good to hear about your Maha mango. Sorry to hear about your back issues. Yeah, I've been feasting on cherries from Costco. They have been particularly good this year.

New Gen: That sugar apple is about 15 years old but it was uprooted and cut to a stump after Hurrican Wilma almost 6 years ago. So what you see represents 6 years growth.

Tony: I tried an Ivory mango and I am going to do another thread on that subject where I'll compare the growth habit of Tog Bi Con and Ivory.

Harry

• rev_durai
    12 years ago

Wow! I am amazed at your Grapes Vine.
    Did you prune them? Can I have some Cuttings please.
    Thanks for your lovely photos.

Durai

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Congrats Harry to you on a successful fruiting season - you guys deserved it after the last couple seasons from what you said....

thanks for posting as always and keeping us all inspired....

mangoD

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

I just bought a few different muscadines (Alachua, Summitt, Southern home, Jumbo). Seeing your grapes kind of sent me on a buying spree. I found a nursey that sells the Tari's burgundy bunch but they seem to be difficuly to deal with. I have been trying to get them to send me an invoice for three days now so I could place my order. I think cuttings would have to be taken in the winter but I'll read some more about it to see if summer cuttings can work.

Is the skin on your grapes tough or is it thin enough to eat?

• MangoDoc
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry for the reply. If you prune your grape vine I would love some cuttings from it.

4670 south friday circle
    Cocoa ,fl.32926

Let me know what I owe you. Thanks, Joe.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Those Lancetillas look awesome! I have 3 holding on the biggest one about a pound. How would you compare them with other top notch mangos? BWT i bought a grafted Red Ilama over a year ago from Exotica. The tree was about two feet tall it has grown very slow the problem is that it does not look like an Ilama it looks like a geffner atemoya he was also selling. I'll show a pic late, got to go,

JF

• cath41
    12 years ago

I'd like to kindly comment. Can't wait for you to taste the abiu after your long wait - and see your comments. The grapes were incredible. What in the world do you use for fertilizer and how often? Do you have a watering schedule?

Cath

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Everything looks great, as usual. I am just amazed you still have room to plant new stuff!

• keiki
    12 years ago

Love seeing your pictures! I am amazed at the size of the mango on your baby san felipe, great growing.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Great pictures! I too was amazed by the grape vine. Didn't think any bunch grapes grew in FL. Googling I found this description "Tari's Burgundy is part muscadine and part bunch grape, hybridized in the early 80's, characterized by disease resistence and superior flavor." So do they have any of that characteristic muscadine flavor? I don't happen to like muscadine grapes, but I love bunch grapes...just wondering=)