Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of mangoes are these?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 19:53

Supermarkets never provide the cultivar name. I got these from Costco today. Thanks,
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of mangoes are these?

Looks like a Tommy Atkins mango.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 1:38

Thanks. From now on I need to remember the good-tasting varieties. I've tasted quite a few good ones, but the names were not available. Is Tommy Atkins supposed to be "good", to most people?

o

Tommy Atkins mangos are generally considered milder (blander) than some of the other kinds of mangos.
Sometimes at Costco, if you look at the box the mangos are shipped in there will be a checkmark next to Tommy Atkins or Kent or Keitt.

o

If what mangomandan says is indicated, then you will know what you are buying. I know the mangos for sale at the costco near me are DEFINITELY Tommy Akins, which by the way is the mango we all make fun of on this forum.

Newgen - that being said, if you don't mind some fiber and you can buy them close to ripe, they are better than nothing. I mean flavor-wise, they can "hit the spot" if you get lucky.....

maddymangoArf

o

Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 1:49

The box was ripped, so I went back to Costco to look at other boxes. These are Kent. IF they labeled it correctly. Thanks,

o

They appear to be mexican Kents. Kent is a much superior mango to Tommy Atkins so I would be curious to know how the commercial ones taste compared to the commercial Tommies.

o

Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 12:18

Well, I tried them this morning. Like Jim Carey said in "Liar Liar", "I've had better", much better. The taste is kinda bland, a little sour, definitely not anywhere as sweet as I'd like. Maybe these will be sweeter once they ripen a bit more. The inside is yellow and kinda firm. My experience is that if the flesh is orange, it's usually pretty sweet.

o

The mango fruit that is sold in Florida has to heat-treated if it is imported from other countries.
I don't know if that is true for the fruit sold in California. Heat-treated mangos don't necessarily develop to their full potential, flavor-wise.

o

Hi Newgen

They are probably Tommy. Wait until next month for the Kents they'll be in season. I bought some Kents a few weeks ago and they were terrible they were picked prematurely. If you wait a few more weeks they'll be in season as well as Keitt from Sonaloa MX. California mangos reach their full flavor but in season just like everyone else.

JF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here