Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

What kind of mangoes are these?

newgen
12 years ago

Supermarkets never provide the cultivar name. I got these from Costco today. Thanks,

{{gwi:1322881}}

Comments (9)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Looks like a Tommy Atkins mango.

• newgen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. From now on I need to remember the good-tasting varieties. I've tasted quite a few good ones, but the names were not available. Is Tommy Atkins supposed to be "good", to most people?

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

Tommy Atkins mangos are generally considered milder (blander) than some of the other kinds of mangos.
    Sometimes at Costco, if you look at the box the mangos are shipped in there will be a checkmark next to Tommy Atkins or Kent or Keitt.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

If what mangomandan says is indicated, then you will know what you are buying. I know the mangos for sale at the costco near me are DEFINITELY Tommy Akins, which by the way is the mango we all make fun of on this forum.

Newgen - that being said, if you don't mind some fiber and you can buy them close to ripe, they are better than nothing. I mean flavor-wise, they can "hit the spot" if you get lucky.....

maddymangoArf

• newgen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The box was ripped, so I went back to Costco to look at other boxes. These are Kent. IF they labeled it correctly. Thanks,

• squam256
    12 years ago

They appear to be mexican Kents. Kent is a much superior mango to Tommy Atkins so I would be curious to know how the commercial ones taste compared to the commercial Tommies.

• newgen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I tried them this morning. Like Jim Carey said in "Liar Liar", "I've had better", much better. The taste is kinda bland, a little sour, definitely not anywhere as sweet as I'd like. Maybe these will be sweeter once they ripen a bit more. The inside is yellow and kinda firm. My experience is that if the flesh is orange, it's usually pretty sweet.

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

The mango fruit that is sold in Florida has to heat-treated if it is imported from other countries.
    I don't know if that is true for the fruit sold in California. Heat-treated mangos don't necessarily develop to their full potential, flavor-wise.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Hi Newgen

They are probably Tommy. Wait until next month for the Kents they'll be in season. I bought some Kents a few weeks ago and they were terrible they were picked prematurely. If you wait a few more weeks they'll be in season as well as Keitt from Sonaloa MX. California mangos reach their full flavor but in season just like everyone else.

JF