Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmsmommy

Which variety of mango tree should I plant?

mmmsmommy
12 years ago

I have room for 1 mango tree in my backyard, but there are so many different varieties, I have no ideas which one to choose. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I live in Southern California & would like a mango tree that is self-pollinated, and yields lots of super sweet fruits.

Thanks much in advance!

Comments (10)

• rodneys
    12 years ago

For mangoes that don't take too much space, "condo" mangoes, there's Pickering & Carrie.

• mmmsmommy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a big yard, but only want to plant one mango tree. I have planted 13 other trees (longan, barbados cherry, avocado, lemon, wax jambu, cherimoya, etc..) & have room for one more & I want it to be a mango tree!

I'm in search for the sweetest, fiber-free, easy to grow & produce lots of fruits variety :)

• sleep
    12 years ago

It really is a very tough question to answer with only one choice.

Maybe if you list some varieties we can comment on them..

• mmmsmommy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

While mango is one of my favorite fruit, I don't know much about it and its many varieties. While doing my research, I came accross this forum :), so I thought I would ask for your suggestion instead of doing the research on my own.

I bought my mangos from the supermarket, and like the one that is fiber-free. Since I'll be growing it, I'd like one that is productive, so I'd have more fruits for my efforts :).

So, my requirement is pretty simple.. I like all mangos (when it comes to taste). I think all mangos are sweet, so tastes do not concern me as much.

Basically, which mango is fiber free and most productive? Oh, it would be great if the tree starts produce fruits when it's young. I don't want to have to wait for 5 or 7 years before having the first crop.

Thanks!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

I dont think you would regret a Manila or that type Mango when it comes to sweet and production on a small tree. I just ate a Autulfo and it reminded me why we try so hard to grow Mango's in the 9b-cool 10a climate in NorCal.

My old pre 2007 freeze Manila was soo good too. That tree is still alive-but its another story of real bad luck for that tree. But,its small and healthy...considering I had posted it as dead here in late winter.

• sleep
    12 years ago

There are many named cultivars that are productive, sweet, and fiberless. I suppose some easy to obtain and tasty cultivars would include:

Carrie - med size tree- green color
    Fairchild - small tree - yellow when ripe
    Glenn - med tree- yellow/green/orange ripe
    Nam Doc Mai- small tree - indochineese
    Pickering - Dwarf, very productive and excellent fruit
    Valencia Pride - large tree, large pretty fruit that almost everyone likes.

There are a bunch more, but that's a start..

• zands
    12 years ago

Valencia Pride if you can get one.... But the Manila mango is propagated by LaVerne nursery near you and is a consistent hardy producer. LaVerne knows what will work in your climate

Check this out--->>>>
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/azgard/msg0208015314470.html
    "Thanks for your inquiry. The Mango you purchased from Lowes is a seedling, a manilla seedling, fruit weighing approximately 7-12 ounces. This seedling will produce outstanding fruit. When you do get flowers, limit the number of fruit after pollination to 2-5 and be prepared to prop-up or support the fruit as they are forming and getting larger. Water deeply when watering and fertilize with a fruit tree type fertilizer once a month in the growing season (our label says longer between fertilizing) and your tree will perform. Need anything else, please let us know,

Richard Wilson �" CEO

La Verne Nursery Inc."

Here is a link that might be useful: Valencia Pride

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Triple M - as has been mentioned, the Manila is an excellent fiberless good producer here in So Cal. I live in Palm Springs and have had one for about 8 years and it is just at the fruit ripening stage for the summer.

You can't go wrong with that tree, though you may have to wait 3 years of so for production to begin. As you may or may not know, this tree is a seedling. A grafted tree fruits a year or two earlier in most cases. But overall, the way this tree has adapted to our climate down here, you really couldn't go wrong....

mangoD

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    8 years ago

I just bought a variety called "Winter" which is supposed to be a Socal variety. Anyone have experience with that one?