Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfernandez_gw

July update in La Habra

jfernandez
12 years ago

Inspire by Ethan I'm post some random pics. The mangos are swelling up and I plan on harvesting my first mango by Aug.

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af304/culov/IMG_3225.jpg>;

this is the Mamey tree that lost their limbs thanks to my two petite pooches.

lots of new limbs thanks to the accidental pugging

Flamboyant in the ground for 3 months

you get the picture everything thrives in the summer.

JF

Comments (8)

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Very nice Jeff,
    glad I could inspire. Wow, loads of beautiful mangoes all over the place and your sapodilla covered in blooms is a great site. Is that a cherimoya or atemoya? Mamey has recoverd very nice from being chewed.

everything is looking great,
    -Ethan

• VentureTime
    12 years ago

Great plants! Great pictures.....
    what varieties do you have there?

• socalmango
    12 years ago

Very nice Joe,

The sapodilla pic caught my attention. Alano or Makok?... Looks like you've got several flowers on that tree. What's its size and age? What are you feeding it with?

Same for the green sapote (Very nice). What are you feeding it with?

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks Ethan, socalmango and venturatime.
    the mango varieties are lancetilla,edwards,glenn, haden, mallika,alfonso,ataulfo manila.keitt and thompson...socalmango my sapodilla is about 4' tall a hasya, I also have a alano seedling growing for a year that's about 2 feet tall, the nisperos grow super slow

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Hey Joe - things are looking up for you - everything's growing great I see, but I think I won our first bet - two Manilas fell off the tree last Friday and I ate one Saturday....excellent, though a bit less sweet near the seed - maybe I jumped the gun.

And I also don't remember so much fiber near the seed. Does anyone know if it's possible to have more fiber in a mango one year over another year? Maybe I was blinded by the taste last year that I just didn't notice...I have no idea...

anyway...the other mango has yellowed up nicely and I may have it tonight. Perhaps I should cut and show it to you guys in a pic.......we'll see....

mangoFango

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Congratulations MD on you ripen Mannies, show us some pics! My Edwards have yellowed up really nice but I am with you. I'll let them fall off the tree. I want to give an accurate account.... I've never had an Edwards. Ethan, that's my African Price Atemoya. I have not had much success pollinating cherimoyas this summer. Maybe my trees are too young(second summer on the ground)?? Socalmango, I have about 100 flowers on this small tree it has been on the ground for one year but I doubt they'll hold any fruit, too small to young.....I feed them fish emulsion and eucalyptus mulch mix with chicken manure in the spring. My green sapotes are coming alone really nice. They have three new limbs and a lot of new growth. I feed it growmore 10-52-10 every 6 weeks.

JF

• socalmango
    12 years ago

Growmore hugh.... Interesting. I looked it up at it said you can apply it as a foliar spray or soil drench. I'm going to try this on my green sapote. Thanks Joe.

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

socalmango,

be careful with your green sapote I wouldn't feed it too much....all I've done to it is replanted it and feed it once since I got it last Jan.

JF

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional