Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

Champagne mango seedlings

Monyet
12 years ago

I bought a case of champagne mango's at Sam that came from Mexico and planted the seeds in pots.a couple of weeks ago and now they are 3 inches tall. Question : I intend to grow mango's in containers,Is this a wrong start. I have no idea went to buy young tree,s, my frost deadline is april 19. I have a page orange tree now for 5 years which i bring in the insulated garage but no heat. It grows surprisingly well. I like to see if i can grow mango's just the same way.I like to start with 2 mango's and one carambola and moved to my heated ex-workshop that has now t-5 lights installed(plenty of light)for the wintermonths and part of spring.

Comments (10)

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

I have 2 mango trees...1 mAHA cHINOOK and 1 Carrie mango tree that I am growing in pots. I move them under my 600 watt HPS light around OCtober. I live in zone 6. I also have a 1 year old Champagne mango seedling but don't know what to expect from it in the future.

The Carrie mango is what is considered a condo type. Condo mangos are dwarfs that can be grown in pots. There is a variety called Lancetilla that does grow larger. You really need to look at the descriptions of the fruit trees so you can see if they will work for what you want.

Pine Island had a great mango viewer that will give ou all sorts of good info.

Andrew

• Monyet
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your thread Andrew. How much luck do you have with your mango's.Did you start your mango's from seed?
    I got 4 seedlings now that are only 4 inches tall, they are in full sun and i am afraid to fertelize them.

• thomama2
    8 years ago

Hello every one I live in zone 8 I am going to plant a champagne mango seed which I purchase from Sam. First do I need to let it dry out after I cut the fruit from around the seed are can I just plant the seed. I am new at this. I have three.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    8 years ago

I have a Champagne I started from seed in 2014- early. Its about 2' in a 2 gallon pot. with some branching...for me in a cool summer climate -SF BAY AREA- I consider it on the fast side.

I started it by removing the husk. Planted it in a 6" pot of 60/40 perlite to potting soil. Of three I started that way- this one grew fast. The other two grew stunted and died in the spring.

• Diyfreddy
    6 years ago

How are you guys doing with your Ataulfo seedlings? Growth habit? Fruit?

6 years ago

I planted it out..and its kept the deep green color,the red flush's are very red and even the cold tolerance is great. ONLY, its not grown much. I suspect I put too much faith in it to root in my California loamy clay. I now can only wait it out and hope that one summer it will burst out into growth. Or,its just a super dwarf Mango.

A photo from last month or so.

• Diyfreddy
    6 years ago

Well looks healthy even if you haven’t gotten much growth. I’m trying to sprout a few now and put both in pots and in the ground (sandy clay). I have a Glenn on turpentine that I bought at 15gal and isn’t doing much of anything. Any growth is totally leggy and droopy so I pruned it back hard and now we wait.

6 years ago

I have a Manila maybe 6' away..its 10 feet tall and only in the ground a year or so longer! Plus it has fruited 3 years in a row in 5 years in ground.

• Diyfreddy
    6 years ago

I’m hoping that sowing the seeds directly or transplanting very young will allow for a nice taproot to develop. The Florida trees come without a good taproot. Your trees looks great. Fruit quality is good?