Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapote_gw

Mahachanook fruit update

sapote
9 years ago

My only one fruit today, side view. I think the broad view would look like a S shape and bigger. I just don't know when it will start turn color and ready.

Comments (30)

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other mangoes also sending out new flush, but both the Nam doc mai and Mum kun si also send out new flower, in the middle of July, southern California climate?

photo of NDM and MKS:

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mun Kun Si

• greenman62
    9 years ago

im jealous
    didnt mean to hijack the thread, but just curious of how long you think before i get fruit on here ??

i just repotted it in the 5 gallon bucket (grey bucket - on left)

its Florigon i believe, from seed..

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greenman,

Your seedling is on second year? I believe it all depends on the climate -- if you are in tropic then it may take longer to have flower compare to the stressful climate of California with cold winter, which triggers the plant to reproduce before it's going to die. In my 91501 a Manila seedling will product flower in about 3 to 4 years. I see your Jackfruit in the red pot, and I want my share when it has fruits :)

Sapote

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Very nice Sapote! I've got a Chocanon that is blooming, but it's done that every summer, 3 times now....AND THEY NEVER SET FRUIT...bizarre.....

Anyway, I'd say your Maha has at least a month to finish off its ripening.....

m.a.dog

• greenman62
    9 years ago

Hi Sapote
    I think the mango is about 1yr and maybe a month or 2 +
    I am in New Orleans. good to know about the cold.
    We get cold snaps below freezing, but very rarely (9b)
    i have a greenhouse for 1 more winter before i plant it out.
    that is a Florigon, but i eat a lot of mango, so i have several planted in pots and around the yard from atuafulo's i buy :)
    i figure a couple have to make it, and i can graft or top-work them.

I have 5 jackfruit trees (seedling)
    1 isnt growing at all though, and 2 more are smaller than that one for some reason.
    1 is in the ground. hope it makes it this winter.
    I will look you up and send you fruit in a few years LOL :)

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, MangoDog. Wish me that Maha won't explode in my face before it's ripe. This happened to my NDM last year. Of course I will not let those flowers become real fruits, in the up coming winter. Those teenage mangoes have too much hormone.

Sapote

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

By the way, Sapote, I've forgotten where you live in SoCal, but I had a mango tasting yesterday with some friends from L.A., Orange & San Diego Counties, and the Maha came up for the second year in a row, as a mildly sweet and really not interesting mango! It smelled and looked delish, but the flavor is just not happening.....I hope your's is a winner. ... and I'd like to hear from other SoCal growers who've had an experience with the Maha....

Very disappointing to say the least, after all the hype...and then again, maybe it's just the desert climate
    that it doesn't like.....

Gary

PS - if you are in Socal, next year I'd love to send you an invite!

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Gary,

Thank you for the mango tasting invitation!!!

I'm in Burbank, east of Pasadena. I cannot believe your Maha already ripen, and .... mildly sweet :(
    I too don't like anything mildly taste, and as I said before that even others like Keit mango, I personally think it's mild. How large was your Maha fruit? I'm trying to think if the reason for mildly sweet was too much "rain" during fruiting period. I bet in Thailand Maha fruits are forming during dry or low rain spring season before the heavy summer rain. How is your big Manila tree's crop? This year mine has 3 fruits, still about 1.2" across and these fruits have kept the tree from sending out any new grow this year. I just wish the fruit season is done so the tree can grow.

On a different note, I'm fighting to save my only Alphonsol tree, it has some kind of branch rot disease -- I cut off a wilted branch and the wound is not healing and the bark where the new cut continues to rot, like cancer. I don't know what to do but placed some Sulphur on the wound this morning and prayed. This has been going for 3 months and I had repeated cutting the infected top trunk down to a fresh part, at least 4" below the infected area, and now my poor Alphonol only has about 12" trunk from ground with 4 or 5 very healthy 3 months old shoots above the graft line. I just hope the rot will stop this time and I will not cut off the trunk any more --just let the tree fight for its life, and maybe the healthy new shoot's cells will fight off the disease.

sapote

This post was edited by sapote on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 20:42

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

8/7/2014 update on Mahachanook fruit.

It starts turn color, a beautiful S shape mango.
    Mangodog, when you think it is ready to transfer its energy into me? Sorry it's the only one, barely enough for 3 of us in the family. I think the birds don't even know this is an edible fruit -- they never see one before in my area. Do the birds eat your mangoes?

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My Lychee fruit is about ready too. This is the first time it has fruits -- total 3 but two had split open and the Argentinian ants had finished them two weeks ago. I air-layered it from a big tree but no body know it type. Can the experts help to identify it by the fruit?

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, forget to remove the iron dome defend system. This is better. No, only one, not two as my daughter said.

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up. Is it ready to eat? I cannot do a sample test since it's the only one!!!

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Sorry Sapote - I didn't follow up with your questions from a couple weeks ago. Well, Burbank should be a perfect place to grow mangoes!

That Maha is still a week or two from ripening. Feel it - unless it is a bit soft, it still needs time on the tree. And no, birds have not discovered any of my mangoes yet! And we have no squirrels, so don't have that problem either....

The reason my mangoes ripen so quickly is because of all the heat we get. You know, I've already had over 70 days of over 100 already....

My big manila had over 100 fruits, but they are very average mangoes, sapote - I give them to my friends and neighbors - I just find them hard to eat with all these better varieties out there....

And speaking of - have you ever heard of the Lemon Zest mango? It's shot to the top of my mango list! A vigorous tree and I had 8 fruits this year and I planted it as a stick in Dec. 2011. The fruits average a minimum of a pound. And the flavor is a wonderful sweet lemony/orange spicey flavor that really can't be described. You've really got to get yourself one of these!

I think I told you i've got an alphonse too. A very unique tasting mango, with sort of a sweet piney aftertaste Yeah, I had about 20 of those this year. Hope you have luck with your sick tree. I dont' know what to tell you. Sounds like you've done everything you can....

And sorry - I dont' know anything about lychees....

m.a.doggy

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

since my last post on 8/7/14, we were away for 3 days and last night back home I found a big yellow mango on the ground!!! Luckily it has not a single bruise mark from falling 3 feet high onto the cardboard I had placed on top of the mulch to hold the soil moist. It must had hit the cardboard cushion and bounced off onto the paver patio, laying naked under the full sun. I think it fell yesterday since I found the sap oozed out at the stem still wet. It changed color from light rose green to strong rose on the side facing sun, and yellow on the other side. Very strong nice spicy mango aroma from the fruit. I don't know when it's best to eat it. I don't like too sweet over-ripe Kent, but a not fully ripe Manila is too sour too. I usually use the strong aroma smell as a guide to tell when it's best to eat Cantaloupe and mangoes, but when should I try this beautiful Maha?

Here are some photos, next to a pear for comparison

This post was edited by sapote on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 15:42

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

not facing the sun side, yellow skin with little black dots

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The stem end with oozed out sap. The fruit is still quite firm to the touch. Should I wait for it to soft?

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MangoDog,

I had read about Lemon Zest on TopT web side but I didn't buy it. My guess is that the name is so new and it has a description of just "sweet citrus". Oh well, it will be hard to find space for another mango. I saw the photos of Lemon Zest on California Rare Fruit Fact page and I thought might be the tree was yours. The deep yellow flesh looks so juicy and sweet. I really hope my Maha with a longer ripen season might help its taste as compare to your very warm but shorter time one the tree. When do I cut and enjoy my Maha? I'm happy the fruit finally off the tree on it own term, and hope the tree still has enough time to send out new grow for this year. I will not let it to have fruit next year so it will grow bigger and stronger for the winter.

Sapote

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MangoDog,

I remember you said this when mango sent out flower during summer: " I've got a Chocanon that is blooming, but it's done that every summer, 3 times now....AND THEY NEVER SET FRUIT...bizarre"

Well, My NDM actually had a few pea size fruits and finally I picked them off this morning. Here is a pic of one of them. They are so healthy and so I would think some of them will grow to fruit size but would be late in the cold winter.

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Hi Sapote - I would say if the Maha is getting soft, it is time to eat it now....let us know how it tastes, brother Burbank!
    And it is precisely because you don't have the highest summer heat like we have, that your NDM might have a chance of having a fruit go right to ripening....

And, to get your Maha to push some growth, now is the time to start your fertilizer campaign to get it going....

M.A.Ddy

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maha is so fragrant but the fruit is still firm to the touch. I still see a little green skin ring around the stem and I think when there is no more green and a little soft then will cut it open with a very sharp knife. I heard that Maha has paper thin seed; then how big is the embryo inside?

People said Maha would fill the room with its strong fragrance, but in my experience it has strong fragrance when smell it few inches from nose, and I don't think one can detect it by just being in the same room 10ft away.

Mangodog, I can't wait to try out late season NDM mango as you said when my tree is stronger -- it's barely 2.5ft now so absolutely no fruits allowed.

back to the NDM, I just picked off all the pea-size fruits few days ago and now I saw the top two growths sent out flower again and waste its energy. Anything else I should do to have more growths instead?

I have the Miracle green granulate fertilizer and I'm thinking a tea spoon in 2 gal water is ok. What is your formula for pushing new growth?

On the very sick Alphoso, I noticed the bark-rot disease had consumed more than 24" of the main trunk and now is about 1.5" above the last living lowest branch above graft line. It seems the disease stopped right here for the last 10 days. I really hope the tree had built up a defend system and finally won the battle -- do or die. I had tried to cut off the disease part, 8" below the healthy part, but then in the next few day the bark at the cut started rot again. Had done that 3 times and same bad result, and so finally I just let nature took its course, and it seems the disease is stopped. Wish me luck.

Sapote

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Congrats on your beautiful Maha, looks amazing!! If the fruit is still very firm I would check it daily and once it has some slight give to the touch (not soft) it should be ready...also it will give you a much stronger aroma.

Here's a picture of one from last year that a friend in NE FL sent me...I ate it the day I received it in the mail and the fragrance was amazing. I too had to smell it fairly close to get the full fragrance

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Sliced open...BTW, how many inches long is your ripe Maha?
    Excellent tasting mango...truly enjoyed it!

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Puglvr,

Thank you for posting the Maha inside photos -- I have been looking for them to make a judgment call of when to cut it. I'm all new to Maha and so just worry if I cut open and it looks like pale yellow inside and tastes like unripe Manila with strong sour taste then too bad. From your photo it seems the outside didn't look too over-ripe but the inside looked soft. I am the kind prefer mango on the firm side. I think mine is ready this evening. How long? I need to measure but my guess it's around 5.5" -- a little small from a young tree. I will skip fruit next year to push the tree large for more fruits the following years. How long was your Maha?

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

That Maha photo...not from my tree from last year was appx. 6" long

I too have a small Maha that might be ripening or rotting,lol...not sure which? I got the tree in Jan. 2012 and had it in a pot since a week and a half ago ( I decided to plant it in ground) and the bottom of one of the fruits are just starting to yellow and I don't know if this is ripening or if its a the start of not ripening properly?

The inside of that Maha above was a bit soft to my liking also...will want to pick mine a little before that stage if possible. But in all fairness it was in a box during shipping for 2 days, I'm sure that helped the ripening to speed up from all that heat being closed up in a box :o(

But it was a very good mango IMHO :o)

Here's mine that is on my small tree now...

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Close up of the one with the yellowing at the bottom...its appx. 5.5" long too...a little small for its normal size I think but considering how young the tree is I'm not complaining...

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Puglvr,

You grafted Maha looks so healthy with all those long full size leaves without any damages. The fruits look great to me, except why there is no single pink flush but starting to yellow. Not enough sun exposure? I also notice the trunk still has the strong curve near the soil line, and I believe the curve section is part o the main root from the seedling root stock. IMHO it's safe to cover the soil up to the end of the curve for more root development, but it's your call.

My Maha tasting report.
    From the inside look of PuglvrâÂÂs cut open Maha, I decided to serve mine by not peeling the skin, just like when eating a ripe Manila, with a spoon, which has thin delicate skin. With a very sharp knife I fileted it into two halves, and to my big surprise, the seedâÂÂs literally paper thin,a long and flat as it was described by others, about 3mm (0.120âÂÂ) thick!!!! After âÂÂpeckingâ off all the flesh on the seed I cut open it with a scissors ��" there was no embryo inside, not even a tiny dot!!! This is as close to a seedless mango as it can be. Maybe a normal size fruit of 7â long would have a normal seed?

The center of the flesh is dark yellow as a 5-minute boil egg yolk, soft texture like Manila. The taste is total different for the top half and bottom half. The bottom half has very strong aroma, it reminded me of the famous King of Fruit (for those not hate it), Durian. http://www.courierpress.com/lifestyle/smelly-selection. The top half is as good as the lower half except not having the strong aroma.

Its sugar is more than enough but not overpower sweet. Soft, creamy, and sweet. I would prefer to have more acidity. Although the outside skin texture was tight without any sign of wrinkle of a slightly overripe mango, but the center flesh is a bit soft for me, plus less acidity, and so I think itâÂÂs overripe for my standard. For sure next time I will try Maha two days sooner. My instinct was right, that it should be ready when it had strong aroma (monkeys wouldnâÂÂt wait this long, and the fruits were designed to be propagated by animals).

There are long strings of fiber closer to the skin. Skin is a bit thicker than Manila, and no fiber around the seed.

Maha is a unique mango for sure, acquired taste/smell. ItâÂÂs a keeper for me.

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

outside texture

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

seed and flesh

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Thanks for that great review Sapote!! You did a great job describing it! Very nice pictures...

I hope I can keep this mango from "freeze damage" during the few days of winter here. I'm certainly going to give it my best effort. It's a keeper for me as well and I don't want to lose this mango...it wasn't an easy one to find!! Will be difficult to replace...