Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jb_fla

Yard Update

jb_fla
12 years ago

Here's some pics of the yard. I have a lot more than the pics I took. I don't post much so for most who don't know, I live about 30 min north of Tampa. My all time low was 18f two years ago and most of these plants were in ground then and obviously handled being protected.

Tamarind

Kwai Muk

Cattley Guava

Dot Mango

Jaboticaba (thinking I want to hit it with Triple Phosphate fert to convince it to fruit

NS1 Seedling (planted 2009) not the best angle

Makok Sapodilla- My wifes fav fruit. Want to add a Haysa for her. Believe it or not but this plant has been in ground 3 years and is still so small.

Brewster Lychee. One of my fav trees

Glenn Mango- gave me 4 mangos this year (hard to see b/c of gardenia behind it)

Two Grumichamas.

Pitomba- 2nd year flowering none held. I just had a small rebloom and hope some hold

Cherry of Rio Grande

Minnie Royal- I am experimenting with Minnie Royal and Royal Lee sweet cherries. I received both trees from bay laurel in Jan as 3' sticks with no lateral branching. I am excited by how well they have grown, though winter will be the real test.

{{gwi:113936}}

Thanks for looking

marcus

Comments (13)

• rev_durai
    12 years ago

Lovely yard. Excellent photography.
    Thanks for sharing.

Durai

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Good luck with the cherries. I have considered trying them as well. Definitely keep us updated.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Very nice Marcus, everything is looking so green and lush. Were your tamarind and kwai muk in the ground during your 18F?

-Ethan

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice pics jb fla!

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Beautiful trees, favorite picture is the Brewster Lychee.

• jb_fla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ethan-

The kwai muk and two recent cherries, minnie royal and royal lee were the only trees in the pics that were not in the ground when it hit 18f.

The tamarind did fine protected (with a single 40w light bulb in a spot light fixture at the base and the tree wrapped in a single layer of bed sheets). If I recall it shed most of its leaves and then flushed out when the temps warmed up. No branches split which was positive.

This past winter the tamarind was allowed to go to 28f with no heat source and a single sheet thrown over to reduce any frost on the leaves and no branches were damaged.

marcus

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Marcus;

Almost missed your post with the flurry of activity on the Forum and here at my house. Obviously, you've conquered the winterizing of your plants. Really nice job keeping these trees going so well. Thanks for posting. I am inspired by people like you to try some of the more tropical things. If you can grow the tropicals in Jax, I should be able to grow the ultra-tropicals here.....or so the theory goes.

Harry

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I'm so confused......I mean Tampa...not Jax.

Harry

• jb_fla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Harry, I hope I have not bit off more than I can chew, but I planted in early spring a row of garcinia (lemon mangosteen, Luc's mexcian garcinia, achachairu and madrono). They are in there second year from seed and still small but growing well. This last winter I left them all out while in pots as long as it didn't get colder than 32f and they did fine.

Next in line when they grow a bit bigger are champedak, cambuca, langsat, guayviyu and cherapu. I even have a few rambutan seedlings started that we'll see what happens with.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice yard!

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

Nice pics and very healthy trees...keep up the good work!

• keiki
    12 years ago

Very nice! Eerything looks so strong and healthy. How tall is your NS1? Also how old was your pitomba when it started to flower?

• jb_fla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a better pic of the jackfruit:

I just measured it and it stands just over 6' tall. I planted the seed August 2009 from an NS1 jack.

The pitomba I bought when it was about 2.5' tall so I am not sure how old it was then. It flowered the first spring after I bought it, but only 4 flowers. This year it had a lot of blooms but none held fruit. It just rebloomed and I think 2 of them may hold, time will tell.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!