Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5 yr old avocado tree grown from seed

Posted by marinfla 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 22:00

I started an avocado tree from seed taken from a large smooth shiny skinned mango taken from a friend's backyard tree. I planted it in the ground October 2005 after being in a pot for a year and it has grown incredibly. It is roughly the same height as my coconut palm trees ( tall ). I will post a picture later tonight. I have heard that the male vs. female tree is a misconception. This tree is full, lush and has many strong limbs. I live in zone 10 and my yard seems to have something special going on as things just thrive well with minimal or no effort. I have mango trees, banana trees, coconut palms and this large avocado tree. Here is my question: Will this tree ever bear fruit? What is the usual time frame they mature enough to fruit? Is it possible it never will fruit? It is a beautiful tree but I would love to see it fruit-it wouldn't be complete if it didn't! Thanks for any help with this question!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5 yr old avocado tree grown from seed

Well this is the case of good news and bad news. The good news, your tree will probably fruit for you eventually as you have described growing conditions that seem to make your tree happy. The bad news is that the seed planting to fruiting time is highly variable and can range from 8-20 years (and even longer in some cases). And more bad news, when and if it does fruit, the fruit is likely to be inferior to the fruit from which you obtained the seed. But, that being said, there is a small chance that your tree will fruit in the next couple of years and/or that whatever fruits it produces are superior to the fruit the seed came from. The bad scenario of longer fruiting time and inferior fruiting is just much more likely. Best of luck with your tree....I hope you are the lucky one and that your tree bucks the odds.

Harry

o
Here are the photos...

I am getting better at figuring out how to do this.
Thanks.

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

CLICK ON THE PIC FOR ALL THE IMAGES

o

I grew a couple of avocado plants from seeds, it was a Hass avocado and it grew really well and in about 5 years, it had 3 fruits and the fruits looked and tasted like an avocado. There must have been other avocado trees around that pollinated my tree? My situation is probably out of the ordinary. I would suggest you don't fertilize with too much Nitrogen or else you tree will get huge, instead, give it lots of Phosphorus for flowering. Let us know how it goes!

o

Simon, that's really encouraging to hear. I'm hoping I can get a long-neglected seedling avocado that's roughly three times the age of yours to finally fruit. They are variable organisms, but hopefully some day they can all produce reasonably edible fruits.

o

I love that your tree is doing so well. Avo seedlings may not be the next Hass, but generally still produce acceptable, good tasting fruit. you could graft it, but I love the idea of waiting to see what you get. It is unlikely that it will take 8 or more years since it is growing well.
Also re male an female trees, A & B trees, well, while there may be a little better pollination with multiple avo trees in the area, a single tree still produces all it needs to be self-fertile. You do not have to have another tree.

o

Softmentor: I don't know why the link says the photo was deleted because the pictures are still there... But anyway there are some avocado trees in the area but I don't know if they are flowering or not. That tree has grown like a weed and the trunk is like 15cm diameter already. I so can't wait for fruit. If the tree gets too much bigger than it is now I am going to have to rack it back a bit and let it grow back to a more manageable size. Patiently waiting!

Simon: Thanks I got a fertilizer with with a much lower nitrogen level...we'll see how that goes.

Harry: thanks for the info. I am going to wait and see what I get and if after a few years things are fruiting or the fruit is gross I can reconsider my love of the tree and possibly make room for something more fun!
Marin

o

Nice avocado tree! By the size of it, it might fruit pretty soon if it's happy enough. I saw a 9 year old tree growing avocado fruits on the internet. I have a two year old avocado seedling that is about 15 ft tall. The lace bugs have been attacking the older leaves, but it keeps growing.

o

hello marinfla, i was wondering if your avocado tree produced any fruit yet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here