Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for container Mango growing medium info

Posted by misterrandy (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 22:03

Am new to this forum, avid gardener living in Lafayette, LA. I recently purchased Lancetilla and Nam Doc Mai mangoes and am looking to repot them in 25 gallon containers(I have a 3 year old avocado tree looking good in the ground). One source suggested a peat moss mix as a growing medium and others coconut husk chips or coir(mixed with compost). Any help or links are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for container Mango growing medium info

I use equal parts pine bark fines, turface, perilite and then I throw in just a little peat to hold a little extra water. Seems to work pretty well.

o

Hi Misterrandy,
I like Jsvand's mix. I learned the hard way. Much better to have a mix that drains quickly then a mix that takes too much time to drain and then you end up with root rot. Probobly with all the heat you have, it would dry up much faster.
Andrew

o

dont use compost in containers, it will turn the soil into muck and contribute to an unhealthy rotting root system

container growing is more like hydroponic growing than in ground growing, use a well draining medium and rely on liquid fertilizers

o

I use the "Jungle Growth flower and vegetable" mix from lowes. Notice that this is not the "potting mix" version that holds excessive moisture and promotes root fungus. This stuff drains quickly and potted fruit trees love it.

FYI make sure that the pot has drain holes that are on the sides and not just on the bottom. If the pot has holes on the bottom only and you place it in an area with excessive moisture such as on top of mulch, or lay it on a flat surface like a concrete patio, or if it gets blocked by containments, the water or the excessive moisture retained in the pot will kill the plant. I learned this valuable lesson the hard way at the expense of loosing 3 mango trees until I realized what was happening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here