Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
/Yard update 7/2011

Posted by stressbaby z6 MO (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 22:12

Yes, that's right, it is a /yard update, because none of my tropicals are planted in the yard per se. But here is a bit of an update, with a question at the end.

Photobucket
Carambola 'Kari'

Photobucket
Abiu from PR seed last year. Not quite Harry's, but getting there...

Photobucket
Sapodilla. The tag says "Nispero Mexicano 7" Anybody know the variety?

Photobucket
Garcina medrona from PR seed.

Photobucket
Garcinia laterifolia from PR seed.

Photobucket
Surinam cherry. Best crop ever this year, I suspect because finally the tree is maturing. 20+ fruit.

Photobucket
Jaboticaba NTJ (Jaboticaba-not-that-Jaboticaba). Doesn't fruit on the trunk, fruits on more distal branches, but otherwise, it's a Jaboticaba. Better than ever.

Photobucket
Figs. Panachee, IT Honey, Chicago Hardy. Nice fig crop this year for me.

Photobucket
Pitomba. First flower this year (finally) and it did set fruit, thanks to my wife who played flower pimp while I was out of town. Unfortunately it dropped, but next year...

Photobucket
Sugar apples grown from seed from OJ. They will never stay, these trees are in little 4" containers, about 24" tall. But cool, nonetheless.

Photobucket
Cherimoya. First blooms ever.

Photobucket
Purple Grumichama (growing amongst a variegated shell ginger, which had some awesome blooms this year). Six feet tall, no blooms, ever. Question below.

Photobucket
Why does it continually do this on the ends of the leaves? Actually the summer growth looks better than the winter growth in this regard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: /Yard update 7/2011

Wow Robert,
your greenhouse is looking great, those carambolas, incredible! My madrono and achachairu look about the same, abius are a little different, shorter, wider but less green.

amazing what you can do up there,
-Ethan

o

Hey Stress,

Everything looks Great, lush and green, Your are seriously doing a great job. You Abiu looks Awesome.....so green and healthy. My Grumichama does the same thing at the tip of the leaves....hmmm? Anyways thanks for the great pictures.

Jacob

o

Very well done! My grum did the same thing. Don't count that little sugar apple out. If there are not many more, than you should get a few to hold on.

o

Great Pictures Stress...Congrats! Been a while since we've seen updates from you...Thanks for posting!

o

Great pictures, looks like you are going to be enjoying a decent sized crop of tasty Star Fruits.

o

Thanks all. So Jacob and Jay, your grumichamas did the same thing at the leaf tips...did you try anything for this? Just by observation, I would say that it seems to be unrelated to pests or extremes of soil moisture. I've tried cutting back on the fert some and maybe that has helped, but I can't tell yet.

o

That's a whole lot of really well grown plants/trees, Robert. I doubt that anyone in the same conditions could have done better. You PR garcinias look better than mine. Re: the Grumichama issue, I have seen it here too. Unfortunately, I have no explanation as to why it occurs. The good news, the tree doesn't seem to mind it in general. However, I have had some occasions where this was a precursor to a branch die back. Keep a close eye on it.

Harry

o

Yeah...tough tough trees. Mine took temps into the 20's and killed about 80% of the tree. Whoops! Wasn't going to bring it in at all but then had a change of heart. Almost too late. After cutting all that dead away, it came back nicely. Try some good micro nutrient sprays.

o

Nice work growing such beautiful trees. Thanks for posting the pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here