Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now a question about star fruit -- how many on a small tree?

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 22:30

I have a 'Sri Kembangan' starfruit tree, potted. It is about 5 feet tall, and actually has a pretty nice, 4-5 foot spread, well branched with fairly pendant branches, quite attractive.

It budded quite nicely with the summer heat, all of the branches have flower clusters, some quite large, a few smaller.

All of the flower clusters seem to be setting a good amount of fruit, and they are only about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the blooming process, many buds left to open.

Will they naturally drop to a level the tree can support, or will I need to selectively thin them when they reach a certain size?

Also, if the fruit takes 60 to 75 days to ripen as indicated in online literature, they should ripen for me here before I need to take the tree in (mid-late October). Can anyone confirm that it takes about 60 to 75 days to ripen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now a question about star fruit -- how many on a small tree?

I have the same tree and similar size in a 25 gallon pot. I never have to thin it out, the tree does that naturally. Here in south Florida they seems to grow and ripen quickly, probably no more than 60 days. I've got about ten medium sized fruits on it that will be ready next month.

o

Thanks! That's good to know. I'll just leave them alone and let nature do the work. It seems like almost every bud is developing at this point, and I see some kind of very tiny bee, about the size of a grain of rice, all over the flowers all the time -- must be something about it they find very attractive. It's kind of interesting to me that a bee species native to Michigan would be so attracted to a tree native to S. Asia that it's never encountered before.

o

• Posted by gnappi 10 Coral Springs Fl. (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 23:25

I have a Kari, a Bell, and a Kajang, I let whatever they want to keep stay on the tree.

o

Probably hard to see, I only have a cheap little camera and it doesn't take very good photos:

Photobucket

o

Another photo, from a bit further away:

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here