Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jabomano

Glenn Mango Arriving

jabomano
12 years ago

I was going to wait until October to plant this Glenn but I couldn't wait. Here's the sequence of it arriving and being planted. The photos aren't really that good because they were taken with a cell phone but you get an idea of the process.

Ray

www.raybayer.com

Comments (20)

• phucvu
    12 years ago

why such a small tree?

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow Ray, the yard is coming along amazingly! My back hurts just looking at the photos.(wait where is my lawyer?)

-Ethan

• zands
    12 years ago

Tree looks great. Money well spent for ripe backyard mangoes next year and years afterwards. Especially when you see the nonsense people will blow $300-$400 on

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The cost of that mango was far cheaper then a few months of green fees would have been. And besides.........being over 60 years old I'm on the downward spiral of my allotted time and don't want to be on the root side of my trees before they fruit. I always buy the oldest or largest I can afford at the time.

Ray

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

Ray, do you do anything in particular to help these larger trees become well established?

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

monster tree Ray! that tree would be over $1000 in socal

JF

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To mangomandan

The only soil amendment I do is to mix a couple of bales of peat moss in with the jaboticaba soil. The other trees go right into the ground.

Ray

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To jfernandez

The Glenn's cost was half of that and that included delivery, dragging the 100 gallon tree to the back yard, and planting. The nursery charges $25 to dig the hole and to plant a 50 gallon+ size and $50 to dig and plant a 100 gallon. This includes digging the hole, taking the tree out of the container (which sometimes is a job in itself), back filling, staking the tree if needed, and watering. The men you see in the photos are from the nursery.

I'm a working man making a middle class working mans pay which in this day and age isn't much. I don't touch any of the household money for my trees but work extra throughout the year. The money I make doing this is my tree fund. Since this is the only obsession I have it works out just fine. :o)

Ray

• zands
    12 years ago

jabomano-
    You have a great philosophy about planting larger trees plus (as I posted before) we plant fruit trees not just for our family and ourselves but for people you will never meet 20-30 years from now. Plus even now your family and others are tasting your ripe backyard fruits (the best) and loving them. With your "plant big trees" philosophy this will rise exponentially. So good luck and total respect!

Plus your lawn is so lush and green. As if you have a foot of rich topsoil underneath. Do you fertilize it?

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To zands

You hold my sentiments exactly. As far as the grass is concerned, the fellow who cuts the yard fertilizes it 4-5 times a year. Plus all of that rain....

Ray

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Great tree Ray and nice philosophy! I say go for it - so what if you can't shape it like you could if it was young - you'll be enjoying mangos for years to come....

I'm not many years behind you, by the way, and my patience doesn't dictate the size tree I buy, but the wallet has!!
    I've got a mix of 25 gallon and 3 gallons planted last fall.....

Good Luck, keep us posted - MadMangoDog

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To mangodog

I know what you mean about the cost of the tress. I clearly remember the first fruiting jaboticaba I bought in the 1980's. I bought it from Bill Rabineau (not sure of this spelling) who lived on the East coast. I think he lived around Davie but I'm not sure anymore. He had a dream of having the first commercial planting of jaboticabas but I don't never worked out for him. At any rate he sold me a few FRUITING jaboticabas for $35!! Yep, that's right.....$35!! This was way before these fruits were in vogue. Not too many people knew what they were.

Those were the days......

Ray

• marinfla
    12 years ago

I admire a guy who does things in a large way!!!
    That is awesome!!! Carpe Diem :) and enjoy the fruits of your proverbial labor ( to the tree fund )

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To marinfla

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero. I've tried to follow this philosphy all of my tired old life..... :o)

Ray

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

I pretty much tell myself the same thing when someone wonders if I should be spending money on my trees or my dairy goats. "I don't hang out in bars, I don't smoke or .......
    Besides, as zands noted, planting trees is a wonderful gift to the future.
    And if someone complains that it will take too long for the trees to grow and fruit, I remind them that the time will go by regardless, so plant the tree today.

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To mangomandan

Same with me. I don't smoke or drink. I don't do anything elicit and don't go out of my way to socialize. I'm a 100% homebody and one of biggest joys is sitting on the lanai listening to the pool waterfall, drinking a huge mug of English Breakfast tea and reading a great hardback. And then maybe going out and doing some catch and release fishing. How boring can one person be?? :o)

Ray

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow!! What a GORGEOUS Mango tree Ray and its SO huge!! Good for you! Enjoy the fruits next year!

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To puglvr1

Thanks...I'll do just that..... :o)

Ray

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Your fruit trees look nice and healthy Ray! I'm pretty sure you will get many mangoes from your glenn next year.

Alexi

• jabomano
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To Alexi

I buy just about everything from Treehouse Nursery on Pine Island and in my opinion they have the best trees of any nursery in the area.

I have a Vita-Mix and can't wait to blend up these fruits next year.

Ray

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz