Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just got a Keitt Mango tree for $40!

Posted by winstella 10b los angeles (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 23:15

I live in the San Gabriel valley of Los Angeles. What are my chances with this tree?? I can't put it in the ground bc we are moving soon so it has to stay in a container. So excited!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just got a Keitt Mango tree for $40!

It will be OK in a pot for awhile, but would really like to be in the ground. It's a very tasty late season mango - has a nice reddish blush to it.

When and where you moving too?

M.A.Dog

o

San Gabriel is a valley and traps good summer heat and mild winter; I think the mango will be happy. I personally think Kent is taste better than Keit. I also think MangoDog was thinking about Kent, not Keit, since Keit has no reddish blush on ripe fruit. Keit is sure a late harvest but it tastes a little blain to me. One of my friend had relatives worked in the big mango orchard in Palm Spring desert and they gave us huge fresh pick Keit, and I would think those fruits were as best as they could be, but I was not impressed with its taste. Sorry to say this. I'm interested how Keit taste when eating green though, maybe it's an option for eating green.

Sapote

This post was edited by sapote on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:37

o

Here is the link to California desert Keit mango
http://rawglow.com/blog/2009/09/05/the-keitt-mango-the-undiscovered-california-mango/

You can see the fruit has almost no red blush, but I see plenty of red on Pine nursery Keit description. Perhaps it's due to the climate.

Sapote

This post was edited by sapote on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:52

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here