Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new mango trees

Posted by kubi411 zone 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 23:56

Here are my newest mango trees.

Nam Doc Mai, Choc Anon, and Florigon

I was delighted to find that a local nursery here carried those variety of mangoes and many more, thus I could avoid paying shipping. And the wife won't allow me to drive 4-5 hours to Miami to buy fruit trees. =P

Photobucket

To my horror, my toddler was picking off the leaf flush on the choc anon when I was driving.

The nursery had a bunch of other mango. Which one do you think I should get next or avoid (very cold sensitive)from the choices below? I will not have space limitation once I finish clearing up my land.

Glenn, Mallika, Bombay, Valencia Pride, Lancetilla, Ice Cream, Julie, Fairchild, Carrie.

I currently have in pots: Alphonso, Edward, Pickering, Kent, Keitt, Excel, Haden. (I bought the Kent tree on impulse when I spotted it at Home Depot for the first time. Little did I know that it would grow to 50 feet).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new mango trees

Kent isn't the only tree on that list of ones in pots that can get huge. Haden and Edward will also, and I have seen Keitt trees get quite big as well though their habit is usually smaller.

Of those choices you list, how many do you plan on planting?

Fairchild is my favorite from that list there....followed closely by Valencia Pride. You might want to avoid Julie due to the fungus issues.

o
RE: My new mango trees

Congrats on your new Mango trees...cute story about your toddler picking off the leaf flush(kids,ha,ha)although, I'm sure it wasn't too funny to you :o)

I have Glenn and I love it...remember just because a tree can get to 50ft doesn't mean you have no control over its size. I plan on pruning mine every year to maintain a smaller more manageable size. Of course, lately the winter has been doing it for me(no charge). I prefer my trees with a short wide look. Easier to maintain if I need to spray and protect them from the freeze. Easy fruit picking too!

BTW, from what I've read there is so such thing as more cold tolerant mango varieties. Its more about location(micro climate) in your yard and how well you protect it during a freeze. Enjoy and good luck with your trees!
My Glenn...I'm training it to be wider and shorter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here