Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradflorida

Mun Kun Si or Choc-Anon Mango varieties?

bradflorida
12 years ago

Has anyone in Florida seen the Choc-Anon produce a winter harvest?

Also, a large rare fruit nursery in Punta Gorda, FL has the Mun Kun Si variety, and they state that it can have fruit on the tree as late as January.

Anyone heard about this?

-Brad

Port Charlotte, FL

Comments (10)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Heard about the miraculous winter crop that Chou Anon can put on......so far, in approximately 16 years of growinng the tree, I have never experienced it first hand.

Harry

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

I just said it "can" :)

• sleep
    12 years ago

I actually have both. My 3 or so year old Choc Anon from Pine Island is flowering right now, and setting some small fruit. It will be interesting to see if the fruits hold, and to see how they tolerate the summer humidity and Athracnose. I am not spraying it with copper..

I topworked my turpentine tree with Mun Khun Si about 2 1/2 years ago. It is growing quite well but so far has not held any fruit.. I tried a few at the fruit and spice park some time ago, and I really enjoyed eating them at the half green/half ripe stage..

• ofdsurfer
    12 years ago

My choc anon has fruited the past three winters at my house. I harvested the first fruit in November and the last ones in early January. I don't know if it helps to make it fruit in the winter but I don't let it set any fruit for the summer crop. When they get pea size I knock them off and hopefully it blooms later in the summer. So far I'm three for three when I took off the summer fruit it has bloomed again for winter fruit. Hopefully it continues.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

ofdsurfer:

Interesting concept.....but I am not so sure that this would not work the same way with other SE Asian varieties. It would make an interesting experiment. In any case, getting a winter crop by sacrificing your summer crop gives one some pause as to calling this mango "the miracle mango." Thanks for the input. I may try this with one of my Nam Doc Mais next year. Stay tuned.

Harry

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

wow, maybe I found some redemption for the choc anon I planted out, its the dog of my mango collection, I too bought it in hopes of winter mangos.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

...and I'll report in the next month or so on my young August flowering Choc Anon, as I see it has a couple baby fruits already forming....

WestCoastMDog

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very interesting concept of sacrificing the summer crop.

Brad

• pepperseed
    12 years ago

I just noticed today that my choc anon is in bloom with tiny mangoes on one panicle after 2 years in the ground.
    Keeping my fingers crossed for winter mangoes.