Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

My Potted Sugar Apple

ch3rri
12 years ago

Hello All. Just an update on my sugar apple trees. They are growing very well this year with lots of flowers and fruits on my Kampong Mauve sugar apple. My seedlings also produced many flowers and one even formed into a fruit. I really find the sugar apple to be easy and rewarding.

Yellowthumb- the sugar apple can be leggy if you let it be. Just like any tree, you should prune at young age to promote branching and keep the tree short with thicker trunk. My first seed grown sugar apple is very leggy because I pruned it too late. Check out my blog for pictures. But with my new seedlings, I pinched off the tips when the seedlings were 1-2 feet high. I also keep on pinching the tips off when the branches reach a certain length. At the beginning the seedling can be very leggy and need support. All you need to do is tie a stick next to the seedling to support it until it can stand on it's own. I really think it's worth it to plant a sugar apple tree if you like the fruit. As for space, I think all tree will grow and take up a lot of space...even the grafted tree can grow quite large if you let it be.

Kampong Mauve

Thai-lessard I got from Pine Island last year.

Here is the link to my last year sugar apple.

http://ch3rri-blossoms.blogspot.com/2010/07/sugar-apples-man-cau-updates.html

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures of sugar apples

Comments (16)

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Hi Ch3rri,

Really appreciate your kind help. Now I know how to deal with a leggy sugar apple tree.
    Congratulations and best regards

YT

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow, the trees are looking great, nice thick trunks. Your balcony is filling up very nicely.

-Ethan

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Hi Ch3rri,

I also see your Cherimoya at the back. How do you like your tree? Do you have a picture of that tree as well.

Thanks so much.

YT

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Very nice! Great job with everything as ususal. Thanks for the pics. J

• tyler_j
    12 years ago

Hi Ch3rri...

Just curious if you have a heated greenhouse for winter or do you just keep them indoors?? I'm waiting for my sugar apple seeds to sprout... its been almost a month and nothing yet.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yellowthumb- The tree in the back is atemoya. I did not get any cherimoya since I can just order the fruits from Cherimoya.com. I know the tree can grow pretty big even in pot. My lisa atemoya is getting pretty big now and will need a good pruning soon. Also, with cherimoya or atemoya you will need to hand pollinate for better fruit production. I didn't have time to pollinate the flowers so will have no fruit this year. But the sugar apple have tons of flowers and they are self pollinate so I will have a few fruits for my mauve sugar apple.

Tyler- I do not have a heated greenhouse. I bring all my trees in my morning room or in the basement with some growlights. If you planted the seeds for a month and nothing, then you should dig one up and check it out to see if they rotted or not. I usually soak the seeds for a couple hours or overnight then plant it in moist soil in a mini greenhouse. Good luck.

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

dont see any fruit on them..

• phucvu
    12 years ago

how do you keep your potted plants so healthy? in just a few months almost all of my potted plants are yellow or brown.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just water them when the surface is dry or just once a day when the weather is really hot. I really didn't do anything special. I'm a bit lazy and now not much time to care for them so only fertilize them once in a while.

During spring time I pluck most of the larger leaves off so new leaves can grow with flowers.

• whatsnew2000
    12 years ago

ch3rri,

what type of soil do you use for your potted plants?

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just use miracle grow potting soil. I didn't mix anything else to it since the root system was good. I always wait until the sugar apple has a lot of roots before I change it to a larger pot.

• sagarden
    8 years ago

hello, what fertilizer do you use for the potted sugar apple trees ?

• Helen Nguyen
    7 years ago

Hello,

where you bought sugar apple seeds, I bought some by online, it was 6 months and the seeds haven't germinate yet, It possible may I have some sugar apple seeds from you, if you still have, thank you.

• vidnand
    3 years ago

Hi,

Beautiful trees. Thanks for sharing. I love sugar apples. I have African Pride Atemoya tree (fruited twice but something picked the fruits before they were ripe:-(..) How long did it take from seeds to fruits. We live near LA. My two yr old tree from seed is still around 3 feet. No fruits yet.

Will you be able to share some seeds? If you are interested, I can send you some Sugar apple seeds from India. I was able to germinate few just recently. Thanks.

• vidnand
    2 years ago

Hi All, we live near Los Angeles. we have a green sugar apple tree that i started from seed (from India)around 3 yrs back. The tree is in a 15 gal black placstic container. It just started fruiting this year. i see a lot of baby fruits. Hope they all make it. I woud love to get some red or some other variety Sugar apple seeds. would one of u mind sharing some seeds with me? i can send u some of the seeds from my plant once my fruit matures. Thanks in advance. - V

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living