Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Novice in mango planting

Posted by bigangellover none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 0:36

Hi all,

I'm a total novice in gardening. I'm hoping to find an organic mango tree that is easy to grow. I talked to the nursery and they told me that manila is easy, but Valencia Pride and Kent are sweeter. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestion on the variety. So I need something 1) easy to grow 2) produces well 3) won't grow too big 4) maybe grow to a canopy like tree 5) sweet (!!) and not too fibery.

I live in southern california near Long Beach btw. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Wendy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Novice in mango planting

You can do a search on Cogshall, Pickering, Glenn & Maha Chanok to name a few. These are not known for being large trees...Glenn is a medium size, the rest are dwarf/semi dwarf. You can prune them yearly to keep the size in check...

Kent and Valencia Pride are both very good varieties but grow pretty large...

Below is a list of a few Condo Mango varieties, there are several others out there...many to choose to from. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Island Nursery

o

I'll add Carrie to the mix. Not large; delicious and no fiber.

o

Hi Big - yeah the manila is easy to grow but the fruit is just OK COMPARED to the Valencia Pride which has delicious fruit and grows very fast. The Kent is delish too, but doesn't grow as fast - just like Glenn. Keitt would be a late season variety to plant - also delish fruit and amoderate grower for me.

If you want (and have the room) to plant the Valencia Pride, it will become a large tree with very good fruit. Glenn and Kent and Keitt(at least in my yard) grow at about the same pace . All these mangoes are stellar tasting - can't go wrong with any of them.

Just hope you have enough "green thumb" to do all the other things right with growing plants (Proper amounts of water, fertilizer, knowing your soil type, etc.) because the best tree in the world will fail if you don't do at the least the basic right things.......

Is your thumb at least a little green?

Mangodog

o

wow, thanks for all the very useful information. I'll try to stick with Glenn/Kent/Keither depending on what they have in stock.

My thumb? Not that green. I know my soil is very alkaline which is why I plan on getting whatever soil amend I can to get my plants to grow. Thanks for the info again!!!

Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here