Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradflorida

Other honey flavor Mangoes like Ivory?

bradflorida
12 years ago

My wife and I really enjoy the Ivory Mangoes. We bought them on Pine Island (Bokeelia). They have a unique honey type flavor.

Is this honey flavor characteristic of the Asian mangoes, or is this unique?

Anyone know of other more commonly available cultivars that have a similar taste?

Thanks!

Brad

Comments (11)

• samuelforest
    12 years ago

I heard somewhat that the malika mango taste honey...it's an indian mango variety and a dessert quality mango.

sam

• pepperot
    12 years ago

A ripe Nam Doc Mai tastes incredibly thick and sweet to me. Piece of heaven. I'll have to refresh my palate with some honey sometime to justify a comparison.

-Tom

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom - did you notice a honey type sweet taste in the NDM?

• JoeP450
    12 years ago

This year I attended the fairchild international mango festival and while I was there bought two ivory mangos to try. They were completely different from the usual mango taste and that is why I loved them, unfortunately I only bought two. The ivory had no tangy taste to it, was mildly sweet with hints of vanilla I would say "creamy". I have had the atulfo aka honey mango before on numerous occasions and the characteristics it shares with ivory are the color of peel when ripe and that the flesh is fiberless, but not similar in taste in my opinion. When I figure out how to post pics of the ivory mango on here with my iPhone I will.

While at the festival my gf, dad, and brother and I all tasted like 10 other mangos in this tasting section. Two in particular were the st Maui and the malika as referred to above. The st Maui was good, it had bright yellow pulp had hints of pineapple flavor very tangy and "tropical" my, bro, girlfriend and dad all loved it whereas in a radical contrast of flavors you have the malika. The malika has a reddish orange pulp with very bold and I mean bold flavors almost with hints of papaya some slight "honey syrupyness " my bro, gf and dad tasted it they were put off by it which is funny cause it just goes to show how subjective taste is with mangoes and how radically different tastes can range between cultivars.

I originally thought the ivory mango was of asian origin guessing from china because of it's thin shape and slender appearance, but after speaking with jeff Hagen over the phone he said it's from Africa. Speaking of jeff I'm picking up an ivory tree from him tomorrow totally stoked!!

JoeP450

• JoeP450
    12 years ago

http://instagr.am/p/K8uxQ/ I think this link might work. I have to figure out how to embed the photo.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Here's your ivory picture:

Jeff

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Its really hard to give you suggestions about other "honey flavored" mangoes when I don't personally think of Ivory as having a honey flavor. THat being said, for me, the Ivory that I have tasted as many characteristics of the typical SE Asian mango. Basically a smooth, fiber free sweet flesh without much acidity. Some taste almost creamy (some would say chalky). Have you tried Nam Doc Mai? I'd be interested to hear how you thought that mango tasted.

Harry

• bradflorida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Perhaps I need to have a good NDM mango. I tried just one earlier this year, but don't really remember it being remarkable. Perhaps it was not the best one.

I guess Joe put it well "sweet..no tangy taste to it". I guess the key is that it lacks the tangy taste, and has a smooth sweet taste.

Thanks guys!

Brad

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Objectively speaking, there is no better mango than Ivory.

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Nothing like subjective objectivity!

Harry

• abayomi
    12 years ago

I'm glad somebody digs my jokes...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES