Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

Mangos in Cerritos, CA, a drive-by photo.

newgen
12 years ago

I was pleasantly surprised to see this. Anybody else in Southern CA has a mango tree that can match this prolific sample?

{{gwi:1324049}}

Comments (32)

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Holy smokes, did they transplant that thing from Harry's yard? What a beauty of a tree, I wonder if it is a seedling or grafted? Amazing what a difference a nice warm winter makes.

-Ethan

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I wish my mangoes looked like that!

Harry

• newgen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had to make a U turn to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. Too bad I didn't have a real camera, had to use my phone. I'll return in a couple weeks, with a decent camera, and will knock on the door and befriend the owner! 8-))

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Now I know what house you were referring to. It's about 8 houses down from where I live.

• newgen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good seeing you Rodney. I'll return with the Misi Luki, it'll probably be bigger by then.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Sure newgen,
    here are some mango trees around my area and other tropicals, including a flamboyant

• newgen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beautiful JF! The plumeria looks great also.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

If it was El Cerrito( a bay area city) I would REALLY have been excited..I can only hope more global warming.
    And the Plumeria/Mango look I have here in Hayward..in ultra miniature by comparison.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Newgen - niiiiiice tree - are the mangos red-blushed?
    Yes, befriend the owner and find out what they are?

mangodogg

• nullzero
    12 years ago

I have seen prolific fruiting mango trees even in San Pedro, about 1-2MI from the ocean (This area gets frequent cloudy days and fog). Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego County have a surprisingly diverse amount of seedling grown trees at homes.

Just driving around and knocking on doors one could ID superior seed grown fruit trees such as Mango, Avocado, and Guava. I have collected a few prickly pear/nopales type Opuntia, by looking out for qualities such as prolific large fruit, pads, etc.

Rodney,

Should ask to try out the fruit, if its any good you should get some budwood from the neighbor.

• andrew_grower
    11 years ago

Those are some beautiful looking mango trees. There's a lot of mango trees here in San Diego, also.

Where is the Delonix regia (Flamboyant, Royal Poinciana) located? There's some very nice flowering Royal Poincianas here in San Diego, too. I've posted some in on this website in the past.

• jfernandez
    11 years ago

From La Habra CA
    that was from last year. La Habra's Flamboyant, starts to flower in mid June until Sept. I was in San Diego Zoo 3 or 4 weeks ago and I saw no flowers in the Flamboyants. Here is mine, it's been in the ground since May 2011 and it should flower in 2 years.

Yucatan MX May 2012. Here is how mine will be in 2 years, hopefully :)

• mangodog
    11 years ago

JF - The Flamboyant looks MUCH bigger than when i saw it in May! Good luck

mangodawg

• jfernandez
    11 years ago

Hi Gary

It is starting to get bushy and branch out. Hopefully in a few year it'll flower. Take care.

• andrew_grower
    11 years ago

Jfernandez:

The Delonix regia trees at the San Diego Zoo do not bloom because there's a light fixture located to the right of the trees. This causes photoperiodism. There's other that bloom very every year here, though. The link below is attached to my photo Delonix regia photo album.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• andrew_grower
    11 years ago

Jfernandez:

The Delonix regia trees at the San Diego Zoo do not bloom because there's a light fixture located to the right of the trees. This causes photoperiodism. There's other that bloom very every year here, though. The link below is attached to my photo Delonix regia photo album.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jfernandez
    11 years ago

andrew_grower

Thanks for the pics. I've seen the ones at Fullerton. I have also spotted them in Santa Ana, Pico Rivera and Riverside. They flower regularly here too. I often wonder why the arborist don't have them on their list of trees? When my Magnolia mysteriously died last year I asked my arborist to replace it with a flamboyant and he told me to move to Hawaii. I had to go out an purchase this one.

• Nitin_Verma
    11 years ago

I live near by cerritos... can somebody tell me where is this house in cerritos.

Thanks.

• rodneys
    11 years ago

Intersection of Gridley & Mapes, by the 605 freeway. I live about 7 houses down to the right.

11 years ago

My mango -with 2 t -shirts over it- survived the big freeze. It got down to 32f. Seeing how well the "z11" plants did covered? I might try a Delonix...just cover in winter at 34f and below.
    Its the same old lesson. Protect the "baby" tropical and in a few years..it may not need it ever again. Or,at the very least look fine with minimal help as a bigger plant.

• sapote
    11 years ago

JF,
    Your Royal Poinciana looks great, healthy. If it's a seedling, then I'm sure it needs 6 to 7 years to bloom. My mother has a 14 yrs old tree -- it's over 12' tall and close to 12" trunk (Flora st at Warner, 92704). RP won't have flower until the top branches form a horizontal platform -- no more vertical shoots.

Brian

Brian

• Nitin_Verma
    11 years ago

Mallika Mango Tree - First Bloom - Buena Park, CA

9 years ago

Hmm..looking at mine,the flower stalk is compact,not much color compared to others tree's. Even my old Manila was open and had red stems.
    Doe's compact mean anything? or remind anybody of a certain variety? Mine is a rootstalk as I might have mentioned once or twice or 12 times.-wink.

This post was edited by stanofh on Wed, May 14, 14 at 17:01

• sapote
    9 years ago

My Edward has flower in similar color and form as Nitin's Manila photo above.

Stanofh -- I'm not sure what you mean or refer to. please post a photo.

My HD bought Manila has flower in much more red color panicle than Niti's manila above

• puglvr1
    9 years ago

Sapote, I think Nitin's mango is Mallika not Manila?

Nitin, tha's a very nice healthy looking mango tree you have there, Nice blooms!!

• sapote
    9 years ago

Oops. Thank you, Puglvr :)
    Sure Mallika looks difference than Manila.

• sanda
    9 years ago

Nice pics. I also live in SoCal and have a mango that came labeled as "VN mango". Anyone know the full name? The fruit is big, red/yellow and very flavorful. The tree, however, is tiny and has not produced much over the years. What variety is best for SoCal?

9 years ago

That Sanda might be the million dollar question. Some want the tree you describe...flavor and large fruit on a small tree. As far as just plain big Mango tree? I know Baileys was a rocket..growing 2' a year in the cool SF bay area. But in souca? I don't know the complete answer...seems like the very biggest trees laden with fruit are grown from seedlings of Supermarket produce.

• sapote
    9 years ago

I'm in So Cal 91501, and my Mahachanok is doing great and has one 4" fruit. I think you will like it.

VN mango, red/yellow? At first I thought Vietnamese mango but all southeast mangoes should not have red color though. photo?

Sapote

• Lars
    9 years ago

When I lived in Venice, less than a mile from the beach, I had a Manila mango tree that made nice, average sized fruit that were yellow and slightly speckled when ripe. They were very sweet. Someone cut the tree down after we moved, which I think was a big mistake! I guess they thought it was too big and bushy.

Lars

• cyh527
    9 years ago

Publickman- how old was your manila mango when it first produced? It doesn't seem to grow too vigorously in Venice?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022