Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phase0001

SoCal sweetheart lychee August 2011 update

phase0001
12 years ago

I posted a few pics about three weeks ago. Now many of the fruits are turning red... should be ready very soon. I did a rough count. I am getting about 170 - 180 fruits, out of which I estimate that about 10 are arlready cracked though.

I noticed that top of the tree is not very productive, is this normal? If not should I or how to improve productive and growth for the top?

zoom in a little

these are very typical heart-shaped sweetheart lychees. I noticed that the skin of my sweetheart lychees does not become more smooth (same as 2 years ago) even when they are a little over ripe. This is different from Lycheeonline's observation.

Comments (8)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Very nice. Yours are performing a heck of a lot better than mine. For those who theorize that Sweetheart and Hak Ip are one and the same.....yours definitely do not look like Hak Ip. Regarding your question about the top of the tree being not productive....at least in my experience, exactly the opposite is true. The tops of my trees, those getting best sun exposure, are the most productive, generally. So, there must have been some other issue as to why that happened on your tree. But I wouldn't be concerned...as I said, because your Sweetheart production, for the size of the tree, is quite impressive.

Harry

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

Beautiful fruits!!! Did you get to try them yet?

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow those fruits look great, be careful or you might get a certain New Yorker flying in to eat them all.

-Ethan

• phase0001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

harry, my dream is to retire with a property like yours - lots of fruit trees. I enjoyed looking at your trees and fruits very much.

ch3rri, yes I had a few already, most with cracks. they are pretty good with chicken tongue seeds.

Ethan, I think the New Yorker you mentioned has a strong preference on Mauritius lychees, not sweetheart.

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

phase - i would heed wise ethan's words carefully- in off-season i will stoop tp steal sweethearts.
    gorgeous tree. lucky you

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

Awesome! what part of so. cal are you? your post says Zone 10? I am in Zone 9 and I have one lychee tree as well. dont know what kind it is as I bought a short sale home that had one lychee, one apple, 7 guava, and four custard apple matured trees. Lychee tree current has may be 20-30 fruits that are very tiny, the tree was not watered by previous owner IMHO. I am seeing new leaf growth now and not sure if any of the fruit will even get bigger to ripe. I am hesitent to prune it as new leaves have strated to sprout.

any suggestions?

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey Phase, I always look forward to your updates on you Sweetheart Lychee. The leaves on your tree look a little better than mine. This year was a really bad year for the new leaves of my lychee trees. I think the wind has been too strong and most of the new leaves are burnt and curled.

As for the top of your tree producing less, I would guess that it is due to the majority of your lychees being pollinated by the wind/gravity as opposed to bees and other pollinating insects assuming you did not attempt to hand pollinate this year. The blooms on the top of your tree could have released its pollen and when the wind blew, the pollen would naturally fall downward due to gravity. If you hand pollinated, the lower branches would be much easier to reach and that would explain why you would have more fruit towards the bottom of the tree.

How is your Kaimana doing?
    Simon

• phase0001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lycheeluva, the sweethearts will be gone soon ...

behlgarden, if the fruits are larger than a quarter, chances are that they will be able to reach maturity. I am in SD. Good that your house has lychee tree already. If it has new growth flush I wouldn't do pruning. but that's just me.

simon, guess theory about the low productivity on the top. no i did not hand pollinate at all. I think our trees will get a strong flush shortly - typically my tree only get one strong flush annually anyway. hope you will get some fruits next year. why not post some pics? As to the kaimana, it is not doing great. It actually bloomed and all fruits dropped, and it is still very tiny. I see some new growth though. It took my sweetheart a few years to fully establish so I will be patient.