Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

a few pics from around the place

red_sea_me
13 years ago

Here are a few pics from around my place, I'm slowly making my yard as edible as possible (plus a few flowers).

Dwarf Namwah,

Praying Hands

Ischia black fig

Ischia black, open

Muntingia calabura

Guava, Tropic Pink

Sugar loaf pneapple

Hawaiian Banyan

Epiphylum fruit, better than most of the white dragon fruit I've tried

Gold Muscat grapes

Biew Kiew longan

Natal plum

Hoyas

Selenicereus

Echinopsis

From the market, irradiated longan, lychee and mangosteen plus Mexican grown Jak, all pretty yummy.

plus lots of tomatoes, peppers, melons, squash, pumpkins, etc.

hope you enjoy,

-Ethan

Comments (14)

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Very nice! The hoyas are gorgeous.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Awesome pictures!

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Wow Ethan that fig has me jealous. Looks like a very productive tree.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Yes It does:My Opinion:It is Black Ischia,and I have one too,but mine is 6 yrs old and refuse to grow taller than 1 foot at this time,and is inground.
    Your fig show what a difference the location,makes.
    Rest assured you will love the fruits,and it will be hard to find another tropical to have tastyer fruits when properly ripe.

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Very Nice Ethan,

And since you seem to be my competition out here in California, I think I am going to have to pick up the pace a little bit, j/k. Everything looks great though. Those praying hands are so awesome, how is the taste? I have been goiong back and forth on whether to buy one and it would be great if you could give me some first hand information on it.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your pics, and hopefully we'll get the chance to meet at the Festival of Fruit.

Jacob

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all,

J, I've a bunch of different hoyas, all are unique and beautiful. This one has a gentle perfume to it, some are very strong scented ranging from perfume to, spice cookie, vanilla custard, grape gum and other interesting scents. The sap is edible to and tastes just like it smells.

Sunworshipper, thank you for the kind comments.

Jsvand and Herman, the tree is in a 15gal pot and stands about 2.5' tall and has put on two new branches this year plus about 15 fruits. They do have a nice raspberry/strawberry jam taste. Better than any tropical fruit, not sure about that but they are they best figs I've ever tasted.

Jacob, competition? more like members of a unique group.....in need of mental help. This is my first year with praying hands fruit, might have an extra pup. Unfortunately I wont be going to the FOF this year, have other commitments. I do on occasion make it to SB maybe could meet up?

-Ethan

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hey Ethan,

Too bad you won't be able to make it. We probably passed each other several time at Green Scene. But yes, we are a very small unique group here out in California. If you ever do make your way out to Santa Barbara, I would love to meet up. You can come by and check out what I got and we can talk Shop. Again, your stuff looks great!

Jacob

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

I'm always curious about how fig tastes. I'd never had tasted the fruit itself, only fig newton snacks.

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Tropicalgrower,

Fig Newtons taste nothing like what Fresh Figs taste like. In fact I can't stand Fig Newtons...I think they are gross, but I love fresh figs. They are 2 completely different animals. I am sure you would love fresh figs as they are delicious.

Jacob

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

GREAT pics Ethan!! Looks like you're little orchard is doing very well. Love you Hoya bella as well. I have quite a few Hoyas(actually I'm very addicted to hoyas) :o)

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tropicalgrower, some figs have the strawberry/raspberry jam taste while others are like honey, plus other interesting ones out there. These are very general descriptions btw.

Good eye Pug, it is amazing the array of scents (and flavors) these plants produce. My Kerrii smells like spice cookies and a noid (sulawesi?) smells like vanilla custard. I've about a dozen different ones.

• newgen
    13 years ago

Ethan,

Wow, it wasn't that long ago that I visited your place, and now all this? Did I forgot a bag of "super fertilizer" at your house? I've already registered for the FOF in Pomona, good luck on your trip.

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Newgen,
    it is amazing what a difference a year can make. Glad you are going to the FOF, lots of great people and plants. When we get back we'll have to get together and discuss our trips, maybe over some nice fresh picked guavas.

-Ethan

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

oh ok. Lowes had a row of fig trees. I might buy one from there, especially after hearing that they either taste like honey or strawberry/raspberry jam. :) Hope they aren't sold out.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES