Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dragon Skin fruit (not dragon fruit)

Posted by Doglips 8b/9a (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 4:27

About a year ago the wife and I went to Bali. We came across Dragon Skin fruit. Not to be confused with dragon fruit.

I found this picture online....

http://junkiss.tumblr.com/post/26142998560/wufan-dragon-skin-fruit

They tasted and textured like apples, crunchy white-ish flesh. About 2 inches in diameter. The skin was quite tough, I didn't eat the skin, I assume it was in-edible. I don't remember much about the seeds, there were several, and they were much larger than apple seeds. I don't think there was a core, the seeds were pretty much centered in the fruit. I didn't eat the seeds which I also assume are in-edible.

Has anyone heard of this?
Does it go by any other name?
Does anyone have one?
grow zones?
any info?
anyone?
anyone?

As a recovering fruit crack addict, I have recently discovered this crack house (forum). So much for recovery.
Anyways I've logged several hours reading just about every post in this forum and I have not seen anything here that resembles this.

Searching the net yields almost nothing except for the picture linked above, or incorrectly linking to plain ole dragonfruit. Must be under some other name.

Years ago my wife recieved as a gift something that looks like this fruit, it is hollow and you can hear the seed rattling around inside. She uses it for coffee table decoration. But it is huge (double fist huge), I will post a picture later.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dragon Skin fruit (not dragon fruit)

I did some searching and I think I found it. I think it's called Salak, or snake fruit. Try googling that and see if it looks the same.

Kristopher

o
RE: Dragon Skin fruit (not dragon fruit)

Wow, nice sleuthin!
Sure looks like it to me.
Those spines look friggin lethal.
And you get to hand pollinate it to boot!

I looked at one of the sights on the list
http://www.capetrib.com.au/salak.htm
Never ceases to amaze me how little I know about the fruits world.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here