Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruting tamarin in a pot

Posted by mostro jax/9a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 7:37

Hello all:
I've had a cutting grown tamarind tree in a pot for around three years. The pot is twelve gallons and I prune the tree regularly to keep it dense an compact. This year, for the first time, the tree has flowered multiple times and I just found a small fruit on a branch! so, I've been thinking about moving it to a larger pot, since it appears to be possible to fruit these monsters in containers.

* Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding potted tamarind trees?
* Has anyone been able to get reasonable amounts of fruit from a potted tamarind?
* was it sustainable over the years?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruting tamarin in a pot

That's interesting. I've never thought of a potted tamarind tree. I've got quite a lot of them, but well beyond pot size now. Hope some people who have grown them in pots share their experiences.

o

Yeah, I originally did not think it was possible, but the little tamarind cutting was too hard to resist, so I gave it a try. Like I said, I only have one little fruit, but the tree is still young and in a rather small pot.

So, has anyone else tried this before?

o

It looks like you get to be the guinea pig.

Let us know how it goes.

I would guess that you going to have to prune it with a chainsaw, some of the ones I've seen are huge.

o

Doglips:
I've seen some huge tamarind trees as well, definitely not something that one could imagine growing in a pot. in reality however, those trees probably took a century to reach that size. In fact, my potted tamarind is just moderately vigorous, much less than my mango or citrus trees.
Now, the tree is beautiful, it looks like a miniature version of a full size one. I'll try to post a picture some time (time permitting).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here