Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zarafet

what kind of mango is this?

zarafet
9 years ago

I found this mango at a 99 cent only store and it was delicious, very sweet, zero fiber. Id like to grow one of its seeds. It's ripe when green and is fairly large and heavy. The tag says it's from coast tropical from Mexico.

Does anyone have any idea of what variety it could be?

Comments (15)

• sapote
    9 years ago

It looks like a Keit, but I thought Keit is not available until late September, or maybe it came from far away. 2nd guess would be kent but kent tends to have red/yellow color.

• zarafet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you are right, the company website states they use Keitt, Kent and Tommy Adkins predominantly. Its the best mango I have had yet.

• zarafet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think you are right, the company website states they use Keitt, Kent and Tommy Adkins predominantly. Its the best mango I have had yet.

• sapote
    9 years ago

I don't know how you like to eat it, but I prefer to eat them when it has the aroma but not soft, just a firm flesh with stronger flavor.

• califo13
    9 years ago

About a week ago I bought 14 mangoes at a local supermarket that fit the description of yours. Mine were tagged Splendid #3114, a product of Mexico. Even though my mangoes were ripe and soft enough to eat while being green, they're all becoming a reddish yellow color by the time they get really, really ripe. At first I though they were Keitt but because the color change there is a better chance that mine are kent. I think I should eat this one right now... before it become rotten!

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Yeah, I though Keitt at first too, but now I'm thinking Kent.....
    The double humping kind of convinces me....

maddy

• jalilu
    9 years ago

Here we get Kent mangos by mid July from Senegal. They look the same as in the pictures above and are delicious, sweet with an Indian type aroma.

For those who understand Spanish, google "Guia descriptiva de cultivares de mango". It will take you to a document published by Departamento de Fruticultura Tropical, Instituto Canario de Investigaciones Agrarias.

This document will help you identify a few mango cultivars.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

Found them today $2.00 each. They will need some ripening time. Big and heavy.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Just to report- THIS was a delicious Mango. It melted like butter in the mouth. It had to have been from tropical Mexico. No way a La Habra Ca Mango comes even close to the flavor and size.

I am planting the seeds. Should do fine in Hayward.

• HU-432147212
    4 years ago

They look and taste like Keitt.Also bought them at a 99c store here in Las Vegas.Would like to buy a few boxes.Can someone let me know where???.Thanks. Peace.Love.Luis.

• HU-432147212
    4 years ago

Correction.Went back to the store and look at the box;it says KENT.

• PRO
    Ansio
    4 years ago

Very Delicious Mango .Thanks For Sharing

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Kents are in at the stores again here in northern VA. If you can find ones with some red and yellow on them already, they should ripen up well. I've seen solid green ones and passed them by.

Kents are mostly monoembryonic though, so seed-grown could result in anything. Still, it would probably make a good root stock.

• HU-432147212
    4 years ago

what is the best way to start the seed.Have tried different ways.They always get black. Help????Send answers to " cubn10@yahoo.com.Thanks.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Pretty easy really. The hardest part is removing seed from the fibrous husk. But once you do that, you can plant the seed directly in a pot of good potting soil and keep warm -- 85 to 100 ºF in the shade until it germinates. Then gradually move to more sun. I keep pots in my garage until they germinate. The heat in there really kicks them into germinating.

The OP's (zarafet) picture looks like a Keitt mango. The second poster's (califo13) photo looks more like a Kent, which is wonderful if not picked too soon, and then allowed to ripen up.