Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Acidity

Posted by semaje 6b PA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 10:43

Alright, so I have some miracle fruit seedlings. They are in soil I've ordered from LiveMonarch (website). Its a special soil just for these plants. But my water here is too alkaline for these plants which for those of you who know, is a no can do for miracle fruit. So my question is, How can I compensate for this? Its currently a 7.7 (water ph)

Thanks,
James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Acidity

Use collected rain water.

o

I thought of that, but I measured the acidty ands its only like 6.8. Thats probably not enough?

o

Rain water works fine for mine.....I think it will work for yours as well.

o

Add a teaspoon of white vinegar to a gallon of water when you water the miracle fruit plants. Do it at every watering. It works great for all my acid loving plants as the vinegar lowers the ph of the water. Since the effect of the vinegar is not permanent, it would be a good idea to use it at every watering.

o

For other acid loving, sensitive (salt sensitive, I guess) plants, like gardenia, I use rainwater or the water produced by the air conditioner plus an acid fertilizer When rainwater and air conditioner water are unavailable (I live in the frozen North) I use distilled water which works well. These plants use less water in the Winter so it isn't too bad. About a month ago I sprinkled a pinch, literally, of garden sulfur over the Miracle Berry's pot and it put out a few leaves but I plan to be extremely careful with this and wait a month or two between doses. I think it would be very easy to over do it.
Cath

o

It's probably the alkalinity that affects them rather than strictly pH. Rainwater has very little alkalinity compared to tap water. But if you're inclined to be a pH nazi you can buy some pH down at the local aquarium or hydroponic store. Much stronger than vinegar.

o

Thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone. Pepperrot, Yeah wow, I never thought of it that way. So as long as the water is somewhat acidic, it will be fine?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here