Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red_sea_me

An assault on the fruits of Puerto Rico

red_sea_me
13 years ago

Imagine a swarm of locust about to descend on a field of grain, this was similar to my recent trip to Puerto Rico. Instead of locust, it was fruit nuts, a gathering of new and old friends. A small group of us went to PR recently and tried every single fruit that came our way, for me, every single fruit I tried was new. Thankfully it was a small group, this allowed us easy movement and access to places that a large group could not go (plus more fruit!).

Our first day we traveled to a large farm for rambutan, mangosteen, pulasan, avocado, abiu and many other fruits picked fresh from the trees. After that we went to another gentleman's home where we toured his collection and visited his beautiful home. This gentleman had some of the rarest most unique plants in his collection huerenia, garcinias and many other unique fruit trees, including an amazing durian.

The next day we visited two other farms, each different in their collections. The first stop was an amazing lush spot that besides giant fruit trees (that included matisia) also had many beautiful ornamentals, rainbow eucalyptus, sealing wax palms, malay apple, plus tons of heliconias. Our second stop was another farm, this one worked almost entirely by one man, a tremendous feat. Despite being there on a fruit mission, we spent 1/2 our time in awe at his heliconia collection. When we got back to fruit, he allowed us to try a seedling pulasan that was incredible and a nice ripe marang that was quickly gobbled up.

The final day we tried to stop and visit one particular farm but missed the owner so we spent the rest of the day touring our final farm. Absolutely amazing places, all of them, the last stop butted up against the national forest and had a beautiful creek running through it. Besides the other stuff this place had giant mamey sapote and mamey apple trees, cannon ball trees, plus nutmeg, durian, jak, etc, etc. Outstanding!

All in all the trip was a great time, with great friends. We did visit a nursery in addition to everything else and had some pretty amazing food too. The island of PR is absolutely beautiful and most the people we met were very kind. I definitely want to go back.

the new fruits for me:

quenip, rambutan, pulasan, mangsteen, abiu, woolly abiu, 2xdurian, guarana, sour sop, huerenia umbricata, another huerenia, madrono, acharachu, langstat, rollinia deliciosa, marang, kwai muk, eugenia victoriana and a few others.

marang,

durian

rambutan

Puerto Rico

Flowering ginger in front of rambutan trees

can't wait to go back,

-Ethan

Comments (33)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

beautiful Rambutan

how did the Marang taste, heres my specimen, should be fruiting any day now ;)

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

MK...now THAT was pretty dam& funny!

Nice pics there Ethan...don't remember the wooley abui, guarana, kwai muk, or eugenia victoriana. Do you have pics of these?

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Ethan,
    Just curious, what was your opinion on the quenepa? Any comparison to the lychee? P.R. is a great place to go and visit. I also found the people to be very friendly.
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Jay,

I gave Ethan the Kwai Muk at the airport. He ate the whole darn thing and didn't save you a bite. And, btw, Andrew....not meaning to answer for Ethan (even though I am answering for him) but I think this is what he'll say...., the Quenepas Ethan bought were great...for Quenepas. They were still pretty tart, scant fleshed (with the limited flesh which adheres to the seed entirely too much), large seeded fruits that causes some level of gummy mouth. Lychees have nothing to fear from them as far as world wide popularity in my opinion. An opinion I think that was shared by each and every one of us on the trip. That means more fruits for you though......so good news.

Harry

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

MK, your marang specimen is further along than mine which are freshly planted seeds. The marang was one of the better fruits IMO. From memory alone it had melting texture and hints of banana, pineapple, guava and maybe melon??? These descriptions really dont do the flavor justice, it tastes just like marang. It is a toss up now whether marang or kwai muk are my favorite artocarpus.

Sorry J, no photos, the kwai muk was from Harry (excellent and eaten quickly), the guarana was from our first stop, I think Stress might have a photo of it. The wooly abiu and E. vic were on the table at our second stop. Flavor wise, the guarana very bitter, the woolly abiu under ripe, E. vic nice and sour.

Andrew, Harry sums it up pretty well. It was the first fruit from PR that we tried, there were people on the roadside selling clusters of fruit. They did have a nice taste but the texture was something else. When we had no fruit, they were being eaten, once we had better fruit, they were forgotten about. By the end of the trip I tossed the remainder into the forest. Lychees can breathe a sigh of relief, they are safe.

-Ethan

• rayandgwenn
    13 years ago

Sounds like a great, I am sorry I was unable to meet up with you guys.
    I heard you all made some wonderful purchases- Did the plants get home without incident?

We are waiting for Earl to pass us by tonight. I hope my fruit hang on tight! My jackfruit, avocados, and rambutan should be ripe next week.

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures and glad you had a good time. I've never heard of 2XDurian before, is it like a Durian that is twice as stinky, LOL!

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

my 2 cents on the fruit I tasted during the trip

tried 2 durian - fech yuch gross.

rambutan- not worth the effort to get to the flesh.

Pulsan- only marginally better than rambutan- except for the fruit from a seedling tree which everyone went crazy over- has a beautiful sugar-acid balance (the other pulsan had no acid) and a distinct blackcurrant flavor)- one of the best fruits I ever ate.

marang- incredible combination of guava/banana flavor. loved it.

achachario- very good when ripe but hampered by small flesh to seed ratio- but i would buy these on a regular basis if available.

mangosteen- fricken fantastic.

maha chinook mango- not a PR fruit but supplied by Harry. Amazing.

ice cream bean- mediocre.

everything else I tried there was very forgetable.

In sum- 3 amazing native fruits. mangosteen, Juan's pulsan and marang.

people- really friendly. ocean water at the rincon hotel was literally warm-hot and completely calm. amazing beach/swimming.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pics

• gardenathome
    13 years ago

ROTFL, Mango_kush. That was really funny! :0) Your marang specimen is very cute. :-)

Sounds like a fun and delicious trip you guys had. Thanks for sharing the pics!

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Gwenn, I believe everyone's plants made it home just fine. Bryan is an expert packer and his assistance was invaluable. As I mentioned, it sounds as if the packing ability from Jardines Eneida leaves a lot to be desired. Gerry mentioned his plants got banged around.

Bare rooting is tough on a plant. To make the odds stacked even higher against me, I actually grafted a few pulasan before leaving PR. I had several seedlings and wanted to see what might work out better...super fresh cuttings grafted right away even on top of the stress of bare rooting and shipping followed by potting up, or waiting till everything arrived and grafting then...which I did also with another pulasan, rambutan, and one durian. All of the plants have lost most of the leaves but still are nice and green beneath the bark so I'm not getting excited just yet. However...my confidence is quite low with any of the grafts succeeding after the stress they went thru. Fingers are crossed!

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My plants made it home fine but all I did was bare root them and pack them well, plus mangoes are tough plants.

2XDurian could definitely describe the first one we tried Simon, it was rough. I tried 3 bites of it, the first so overwhelmed and confused my taste buds that it made the second bite taste good, but I waited too long for the 3rd bite and it was too much again. The 2nd durian we tried, very good, easily ate multiple bites would eat more now if I had it.

-Ethan (thinking about durian)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Better tasting than the others I've had.

Mammea americana at Montoso Gardens (The seeds are available from his website)

Not sure what variety of pulasan but it was quite good.

I liked the yellow rambutan better than some of the reds.

Ping pong longan. (Not full sized)

Durian and maprang. The maprang was rotten.

Calathea allouia. The tubers from this plant taste very good when boiled.

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi lycheeluva,

You wrote this about achachairu: "very good when ripe but hampered by small flesh to seed ratio- but i would buy these on a regular basis if available.". I am not sure if you know that there is a rare Mexican Garcinia that's about 4 times as big as achachairu and according to my friend even tastier than achachairu:

Tomas

• lycheeluva
    13 years ago

wow very cool boson- is that a stock pic or is that a personal pic of yours?

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hello,

My First question is why was I not invited on this trip? Ethan, I would have thought that at the very least you would have taken your own Team Mate?

Come on you guys, I am pretty tall and could have picked the fruit that is growing on the higher branches. What do I have to do to be included in the next trip?

Did I mention I can carry large amounts of luggage?

Also, my father was a Chipmunk so I would be able to smuggle back huge amounts of seeds in my cheeks.

Jacob

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Tomas, could you share some more info concerning this larger, Mexican garcinia? Latin and common name for starters? Thanks

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi lycheeluva,

That's a picture he gave me of his own achachairu and Mexican Garcinia for a comparison.

Tomas

• boson
    13 years ago

Hello ohiojay,

There has been some discussion about this Mexican Garcinia on the rarefruit mailing list (I great place to learn about tropical fruits), I think the conclusion was that this Garcinia doesn't match any existing Garcinia species. I will not be surprised if it gets its own latin name eventually. Talking about Puerto Rico, I want the Mexican Garcinia to be spread so I actually donated a few seeds to Sherry Bellester (Vivero Anones).

Tomas

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

if you have anymore seeds i would be happy to help your cause, Johnny Madronoseed

• jb_fla
    13 years ago

Luc labels the mexican variety Garcinia lateriflora (pending the garcinia's all get straightened out) but calls it Limoncillo.

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It would be nice to try Luc's limoncillo, looks and sounds like an excellent garcinia. If you (or Luc) have more seeds to donate, I'd be happy to test them here.

cheers,
    -Ethan

• boson
    13 years ago

Hi Ethan,

Sorry I don't have any more seeds. You would have to wait until next year.

Tomas

• mango_nut
    13 years ago

Awesome trip guys and a fantastic job providing photo's and commentary. Thanks for sharing your experiences. It was an interesting and fun read. Ray

• abayomi
    13 years ago

veru interesting thread. i'll be in PR next year. does pulasan come true from seed?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I don't believe pulasan comes true from seed....but the best pulasan we had was a seedling.

Harry

• newgen
    13 years ago

Great photos and stories! Thanks for sharing, many of the fruit names are totally foreign to me. So much to learn. This tropical fruit hobby is like an addiction, the more you know, the less you know you know. I could eat durian all day.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

This is definitely a place we want to go. When are you guys going again? Can we join next time? How did you get the trees back home?

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    13 years ago

I want to go anyplace tropical.. I have a couple of lychee seeds germinated..2 for 2 as the wife tossed all the others I put aside. And it was rare fresh lychee.

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

murahilin,

how would you rate/describe that mammea americana? the ones i've tasted so far were not good.

felipe

• red_sea_me
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It was definitely a lot of fun, will it happen again, who knows? But Puerto Rico is always there, barring a few hurricanes and I'd be willing to bet that most of the places we went would allow small groups to visit them. It was mostly hiking straight up and down muddy terrain, through tall grass, etc. for me as good as or better than camping (just needed some fishing).

Mailing back bare rooted plants and clean seeds is the best way to go.

Felipe, I'm not 100% sure Murahilin tried the mammea, I think the seeds may have been from fallen fruit, it was a large tree. Perhaps he can offer a different response?

-Ethan

Here is a link that might be useful: More info and photos about the PR trip

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Felipe,
    I didn't get to try that Mammea americana not because the fruit wasn't ready but because I don't care much for the fruit. The one in my hand in that pic was actually ready to eat but I just used it for the pic and chucked it. I have tried a few different ones and they all seem to taste pretty much the same. I do have about 8 different grafted cultivars of it though.

• thelma_pontes_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Good Day
    We are making a booklet for small farmers in the State of Amazonas - Brazil and would like to use your picture: Calathea allouia. The tubers from this plant taste very good when boiled.
    Can we?
    Gratefully,

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Yes you can use it. I think I have a few more pictures of the plant and flower. Email me and I can send them to you.