Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rapoza budwood source in US?

Posted by abayomi (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 10:56

Does anyone know where budwood for the Hawaii cultivated Rapoza budwood can be sourced in the US? I need to ship to California for grafting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rapoza budwood source in US?

Check with Jeff Hagen. He grafted one up for me. Not sure where he got the budwood or if he has any more available.

Harry

o

There are several places in Homestead that have it. You can check with Fairchild Farm to see if they will ship. Be forewarned though - it's a somewhat difficult cultivar to graft.

Jeff

o

Thanks. Searching the entire web I see only one reference to Rapoza budwood so it is good to get such aspeedy response. W.r.t Fairchild farm, what is the best way to contact them? Are you talking about the fruit stand or the place in coral gables?

o

I can't remember if TREC had the rapoza too, but that's another place to try. As for fairchild farm, just call the number on their website and ask if they ship budwood. I know you can pick it up locally at a couple of dollars a piece. The farm is located behind the fruit stand.

Jeff

o

If all else fails you can try to get it from the USDA.

o

frankies nursery in hawaii do ship scions. 5 dollar each. they do have rapoza:

http://www.frankiesnursery.com/

o

o

I'll give them a call. Btw how does one order from the USDA?

o
RE: Rapoza budwood source in US? trec?

What is TREC?

o

TREC stands for Tropical Research and Education Center. It is UF's tropical fruit research farm down in Homestead, FL.

o

Jeff - a few weeks ago Linda had brought back a mango from Zills that they had marked Rapoza. Do they have a tree(s) and would Gary part with any budwood ?

o

It's possible that they have a tree. But, they never sell budwood.

Jeff

o

Thanks all. The hunt is on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here