Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun_worshiper

Low Chill Peach Problems

sun_worshiper
13 years ago

I posted my problem on the Fruit & Orchard forum and have been getting some great advice there. But I've yet to hear from anyone growing peaches in Florida. I know lots of you who are active in this forum are in FL. Anybody here have any Florida specific advice they'd like to offer?

Here is the post describing my problem (with pictures).

In particular, I'd be interested to know from those of you in FL - can peaches take full sun here? Does sunburn cause rust and other diseases to be more prevalent? My tree is in full sun, and I'm wondering if I should have provided shade cloth until it got established?

Comments (7)

• jb_fla
    13 years ago

Here is a pic of my tropic snow peach. It is about 2.5 yrs old and was bought as a 3gal. The first year I had it it suffered severely with what I thought was bac spot. Copper nor captan did anything to change it so i assumed I was right about it not being fungus. It looked remarkably like yours now.

I did not apply a dormant spray, and as a matter of fact, I have not sprayed it for anything since the couple of times in the first year.

The fence is 6', I would estimate the tree now about 12'. It has been grown in full sun since I planted it. You can't tell, but it really does have an open center. I am in Pasco County, zone 9a. My suggestion would be to let it be, I think it will rebound nicely next year.

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the picture of your success story and the encouragement. It is very encouraging to hear that your tree started out looking like mine and now looks so beautiful! This sort of success makes it seem worth allowing my tree until next spring to see how it does. What time of year did you plant your tree jb_fla?

• dghays
    13 years ago

I bought a TropicBeauty at Walmart maybe 6 years ago. Trimmed the main leader and into a classic stonefruit shape. I think I allowed 6 peaches the first year, they were fantastic. Around a dozen the next year, great again. The tree grew extremely fast. Two or 3 dozen the next year and so on. I would be very conservative with how many I would let stay on the tree, and would thin hundreds off while immature. After 3 or 4 years, Caribbean fruit fly found the tree, now they get in the fruit most of the time. Plums do a little better due to the tart skin dissuading some varmints from partaking.

Gary

• keiki
    13 years ago

I also grow Tropic Beauty and love them. Similar results as Gary. I have not sprayed them in a couple years, actually can't remember when I did last. It is very hard to thin but very important. I have 2 trees as well as a low chill nectarine. Really you only need 1 as you will get tons of fruit in a couple years.

Gary how often do you trim? Mine grow so darn quick pruining twice a year.

• jb_fla
    13 years ago

I planted my tree in the spring time.

• sun_worshiper
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks a lot for all the great information!

• dkiessling
    10 years ago

Here is the ultimate resource for Florida Low chill peaches.
    They are one of the largest citrus nurseries in the United States but also grow a lot of Florida low chill peaches

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Low Chill Peaches

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz