Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango Lovers - Alphonso mango

Posted by behlgarden 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 11:02

Hi,

just wanted to ask mango lovers if anyone has planted Alphonso mango tree in USA, specially in Southern California. Wondering if low humidity foothills of Southern California would be appropriate for growing mangoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango Lovers - Alphonso mango

I have an Alphonso Mango in my backyard. I just planted it last year and it is currently putting out new growth. It seems to be growing fine. I live in the coastal inland about 10 miles from the ocean. As long as you are in a microclimate that doesn't get a lot of frost, you should be fine. Some low lying areas of SoCal can get quite a few hours of frost.
Simon

o

...and I behlgarden have a 25 gallon one i planted last fall and it is also pushing lots of growth and I live in the desert of Palm Springs - so perhaps it has a great range. But as Simon says (no game-face voice intended) it will be the frost potential that will probably have the greatest affect on it's thrivability.

It is all about microclimates in this tropical fruit growing biz out here.

But I'm curious to know why you are interested in an Alphonso? I can't remember why I planted it other than somewhere, someone (or a website) said it had a fine flavor. Never tried one myself as yet.....and it doesn't get talked about a great deal here....

anyway, i'll attach a picture tomorrow of it...

mangodogg

o

mangodog, if you planted a 25 gallon you got something going there. if you dont know, this mango is really king of all mangoes, you have to really try one to appreciate its aroma and taste. it is the most expensive mango in India and not even 0.1% population gets to taste it in India. I am sure climate may play a big role in it. Do you mind if I ask you where did you get this 25 gal plant and how much did you pay for it?

o

They must taste quite a bit different when grown in FL than they do when grown in India. The ones I have tried in FL were mediocre at best and that is probably being kind. I tried one from Harry's tree and one from mine. I don't think it is a tree that I will be keeping.

o

Alphonso, at my house, earns a solid VD and NVG rating. That stands for "Very Disappointing"and "Not Very Good." As JSVand5 says...and which I would wholy agree with, that is being extremely kind. My tree didn't set fruit its first two years of blooming. I realized that it is highly susceptible to powdery mildew. I sprayed this year with sulphur to address the mildew. It set fruit for the first time. It had a very small crop. Most of the fruit dropped since it is also very susceptible to anthracnose and I didn't spray with copper this year. The scant crop was green....never coloring up and of mediocre to poor flavor. I am going to give it one more year to redeem itself. I will spray with sulphur and then follow up with copper. The chain saw will be poised in close proximity to spring into action should the results not be significantly better than what I have expereinced thus far.

Harry

o

thanks for sharing your experience with this type of mango. I am reconsidering my decision to not plant this tree now based on the feedback. love this forum.

o

It's very possible that it could be much better in CA. I am guessing the climate down here in FL is just not right for them.

o

Alphonsos are touted as the worlds best mango hands down, in India they are colloquially referred to as hapoos,

the one I tried from Harrys yard was unimpressive, their may be some hope on getting some fruit here though

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/17/pakistani-mangoes_n_929548.html

o

I recommend you order some online before you plant the tree. The one's I ordered online were grown in the best province of India and it has a very very unique, Pine like taste. I've had some good ones and some bad. The good ones were really good. The bad ones were not sweet and the Piney taste was sort of metallic. The Alphonso Mango pulp is excellent for Mango Pudding, shakes and Lassi.
Simon

o

Hi,
back in India where Alphonso is typically grown(Ratnagiri , Sindhudurg),it is pretty hot and humid(coastal area) but it also has red colored soil locally called Jambhi mati/Jambha dagad which is laterite high in iron....that could be reason for great taste of Alphonso from that region.....I live in Sacramento, CA region and we have orange-yellow colored soil( dont know if its laterite or anything else) underneath the top one foot but its much more like clay consistency, I had purchased an Alphonso mango tree which survived one winter outside , produced single fruit and died in subsequent winter due to cold.
The fruit was smaller than what we get in India but I guess its okay considering the small size of plant, the taste was just same as Indian Alphonso, same aroma and same sweetness....(I have grown up on these mangoes since my grandpa owned a commercial Alphonso orchard,(my paternal grandpa inherited cashew orchard )I am a lucky child :D)!!!)
Not ready to give up , I again planted one more Alphonso but now it is in container and I bring it inside garage during winter , it is thriving but no fruit this season....

o

Hi, it's fun joining the Alphonso discussion. I am one of those who've tasted Alphonsos in India and it tastes heavenly. One asepct of ripening Alphonsos is that they are never ripened on the tree. Traditionally, they are harvested and then stored on a bed of dry bale or straw for a few days. Also, best flavor comes when their skin becomes sort of wrinkly.

I have tasted Manila mangoes here in the US and I routinely find that when they look pretty, their flavor is bland. A lot of times, grocery stores throw them away when they begin to form wrinkles, and people will not buy them then, but that's when the flesh inside gets really flavorful.

So, it could be the soil, as shflower puts it, or it could be the culture or harvest preferences. Either way, this has been a great discussion and thank you all for sharing your experiences!

o

Hi Homey - yeah, you are DEFINITELY right about the Manila becoming crinkly sweet!!! I get anxious and start eating merely soft ones as they first come off the tree, and did find the ones that I waited on really sugared up - in fact, even the flesh goes from yellow to sort of golden when the sweetness is the highest.

Glad you made that point!

And back to Alphonso's - ShFlower - thanks for the Iron tip on growing these mangos. I live in Palm SPrings and had about 6 this year, but they had a slightly off taste - so I will try some Ironite now to see if next year there will be a difference. Of course they say as a tree matures it also can produce diff. quality fruit...AND....the weather in a particular year also has an influence.....

thanks guys - MDog

o

Alfonso mangos grown in my backyard San Bernardino, California.

o

Awesome!! Enjoy them when they're ripe :o)

o

Yes - let us know how they taste!

MDog

o

Looking at this Alphonso fruit tree, I can't tell how big or where is the tree trunk in the photo. Anyone see the trunk?

I just planned my Al in ground 2 weeks ago -- I bought the 3 gal from Top last March and now it's 4.5 feet with flower. I don't know if it's strong enough for keeping just one fruit.

o

sapote - yeah...strange....looks like 2 trunks, but I think it must be the one on the right bending slightly to the left as it rises. Even looks like a high graft scar revealing itself just under that larger mango...

suppose, it could have 2 trunks, but that other one looks so wickedly twisted farther up....

MD

o

There it is.

o

Shaanp,

There seem to be 3 pots of mango, and it's my guess that the alphono is the far right one. The trunk seems less than or close to 1" thick, and it's amazing to me the tree can support two big fruits. With the wall on the back, do they receive full sun during summer, or just half of the day?

o

Alfonso Mango flowers in my backyard this year. I will post more pictures later. I live in San Bernardino, California

o

Here is another picture.

o

My brother in law in Florida had a big alphonso mango tree and no fruit for 5 years just few flowers, he chopped!

o

I am also from India and planted my first mango trees in SWFL last year - one Alphonso and one Mallika. Both were bought from HD, but came with PI tags. Though I don't remember tasting Alphonso specifically while in India, chose it due to the legendary reputation it carried. It is growing fast (6 feet tall now, with nicely spreading branches), much faster than Mallika. Couple of weeks back, I went to the Fairchild mango festival in Miami and they had Alphonso for tasting, and it really was disappointing. On a side note, Fairchild mango festival also did not live up to my expectation - they had six mangoes for tasting, Alphonso, Mallika and four others, none of them were noteworthy. I had better experience with vendor bought Mallika. In any case, I am looking forward to my trees fruiting in few years and will know for sure at that time. I have been adding to my tropical fruit tree collection since then and have Nam Doc Mai, Carrie, Valencia Pride and Neelum. I also have a mature fruiting mango tree (might be around 10 years old), don't know the variety, as it was planted by previous owner. I recently found out that some of these belong to Harry's tier 2 list and tempted to get few from Harry's tier 1 list.

AJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here