Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
comprotutto

in love with Annonas

Comprotutto
11 years ago

Hello Gang - need your help with Annonas. I already have an Annona squamosa (sugar apple) and an Atemoya Gefner. I have space for a third Annona. Which one would you recommend? My goal is to get sweet tasty fruits (I am not interested in growing it as a conversation piece etc...so taste should drive recommendation).

Open to add a second Atemoyas or Sugar apple if no other Annonas produce quality fruit. Would like to know you opinion. Cheers

Comments (7)

• cuban007
    11 years ago

Hey Comp, you should get a Cherimoya. If you are in Miami, then you should get a Custard Apple. They are both delicious.

• gnappi
    11 years ago

I too have a sugar apple and a Geffner. The sugar apple is excellent, but the Geffner fruits are still not ready :-(

I wish I had more space for more!

• Doglips
    11 years ago

I am becoming intrigue by these things.

Never had one before. As near as I can tell they come into season Feb/Apr time. Is this correct? Does the season vary at all? Any reccommendations for where to get the fruit, and then get the trees after I have already decided that I like it without trying it?

• irun5k
    11 years ago

This year I had my first FL-grown sugar apple, after first learning to love them when I lived in Hawaii. The ones I bought here were awful. They were tiny things and they had no pulp to speak of- they were just a bunch of seeds with basically a thin film on each seed that you had to try and suck off.

Does anyone know if this is standard for FL-grown sugar apples? I bought a "vietnamese" sugar apple (a different variety that Jene's sells.) I am hopeful I get something better than what I bought at the market this year or I'm going to compost the tree :/

• mostro
    11 years ago

Hi Irun5k:
    I had a Florida/Miami grown sugar apple from my father's tree this summer and it was wonderful. It did not have too many seeds, lots of flesh and a great taste. I grew up around sugar apple trees in Cuba, so I know what they should taste like...
    His tree is a 2.5 year old seedling. Sugar apples grow reasonably well from seed, so if you have a good sugar apple experience, plant the seeds!

• gnappi
    11 years ago

Let me say that while my Florida grown sugar apples are small, they are excellent tasting. If I let seeds bother me, I wouldn't eat crab, lobster, clams, or watermelon either :-)

The Geffner is MUCH larger fruit. My sugar apples have been coming ripe for the last four weeks, the Geffner is going to be a while longer, I figure two more weeks.

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Thanks guys, I am glad to hear that FL can in fact produce decent sugar apples.

I suspect I had a couple of poor quality fruit, or they were too early in the season, etc. It wasn't the seeds that bothered me, it was the fact that there was absolutely nothing inside the fruit besides seed. I will hit the farmers market again this weekend and see what is for sale.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals