Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaa5m

What's wrong with this Pickering Mango Tree?

aaa5m
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

My Pickering Mango isn't looking very healthy. Can someone tell me what's going on? A lot of the leaves look droopy, weak and dry, and a few leaves have developed a pale bleached look along the center vein. Also one of the canopy branches was a brownish purple color at it's base, but now seems to have regained normal color.

It's a 3 gal Pickering Mango from FL. It arrived with a plastic bag wrapped around the root ball last Thursday.

It's potted in tapla's Gritty Mix which I made using ReptiBark, Gran-I-Grit (Grower's), Turface ALLSPORT, Plaster of Paris for gypsum. I sifted everything twice; once through a 1/8" screen then 1/4". I used a 14" or ~7 gallon pot with a nylon wick.

I bare rooted and potted up. I gently teased the roots, and removed all of the soil. There was even a worm in the dirt. Only a few roots were lost. I watered it right after repotting. I didn't know how porous the Gritty Mix was so when I watered a lot of it drained out the bottom. I then watered it again the next morning and a lot drained out. Then in the middle of the day it started to look wilted and weak. I figured I over watered it. So I didn't water the next day. I then watered on Sunday but slowly in small amounts. Very little drained out the bottom. I did the same thing yesterday and today I haven't done anything. The bottom leaves are looking and feeling dry and dusty. The rest look a little dry also. A few however still feel pretty moist and thick and leathery. The ones on the bottom of the tree as you can see are much darker than the new growth on top.

I've kept it out of the sun most of the time but on the Friday it was exposed to a couple hours of morning sun. The weather has been around 80F high dropping to about 66F low. Humidity around 70-80%.

If anyone can please advise as what I should do I'd greatly appreciate it. I just don't want to lose this tree and want to see it thrive.

Comments (2)