Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simon_grow

Anyone try Tebow Mango yet?

simon_grow
13 years ago

After the recent mango festivals in Florida, I was wondering if anyone was able to try a Tebow Mango? I would really like to hear a good description of this cultivar because of the high ratings from PIN.

I have never tasted an Edward's Mango before but I have tasted Kents and they are one of my favorite mangoes and Edwards is supposed to be even better than Kents so I can't imagine how a Tebow will taste. Thanks,

Simon

Comments (27)

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

I don't think anyone will try a Tebow until at least next year. Like you, I am extremely curious to hear the results.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

from Pine Islands site:
    Like the dual virtue of TimÂs running and passing game, the Tebow Mango has the venerable virtues of both quality and production.

sounds over hyped to me ;)

• dghays
    13 years ago

As I said last time someone asked this question:

It's pretty good, but has a slow release, and is a bit inaccurate.

Gary

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

some of these College mangos just arent ready for prime-time.

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh man, you guys crack me up! At least Tebow is no Ryan Leaf. Go Chargers!!!

On a side note, I ordered a Tebow Mango from Plantogram.com. I don't see how this mango can be bad considering its lineage. I'll update everyone when I get some fruit, hopefully within 3 years, considering I'm in CA.

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

Does anyone have any mangos on their Tebow trees?

• simon_grow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Count me out, my tree died:(
    Simon

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I have three or four fruits on mine. Its still a very small tree. They are nearing maturity. Won't be long now. Stay tuned.

Harry

• sleep
    13 years ago

I also have 4 on my very small tree. It tried to grow 7, and they were all getting pretty big. I thought 7 would be way too much for that little tree, so I removed 3.

Can't wait to try it !

• sleep
    13 years ago

Pic of my Tebow today...

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

I'll be curious to see what you think of it. My tree bore one little fruit that fell off prematurely. It ripened and had a glenn'ish taste to it.

Jeff

• squam256
    13 years ago

I've been communicating with Dr. Jack Sturrock (son of Tom and grandson of David Sturrock) and he is going to try to locate the 'Young' trees on his family's old property. If they are still there then these trees should be pretty large and producing plenty of fruit.

I am not sure that this one is going to quite live up to the hype in terms of flavor; from the descriptions and what I have been told, despite the Edward x Kent cross it seems to actually be a relatively mild mango. 'Glenn-ish' taste could prove to be an apt description for 'Young' in general. Of course everyone has different views on this kind of thing but I can appreciate the taste of a good 'mild' mango as well. Will be interested to see what everyone thinks of theirs.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Ohh, that would be quite interesting, squam. I'm thinking that your assessment of the 'Young' mango is probably going to be accurate - a strong bearer with a good but not necessarily spectacular fruit.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Ohh, I just noticed that they finally changed the description on the pine island website to reflect the tebow's real name and background ;-)

Jeff

• squam256
    13 years ago

Yes, Jack contacted Pine Island after I had asked him if him or his mother Jeanne were aware that 'Young' was now being propagated as 'Tebow'. Jack wanted to make sure the historical credit in the cultivar description went to his grandfather. I believe he also spoke with Jonathan Crane who said that he'd refer to 'Tebow' as 'Young' going forward.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Sleep

Good looking tree, that about the same size of my Keitt. The mangos look large, are Tebow's fruit larger than Keitts?

JF

• adiel
    13 years ago

I have a potted baby Tebow mango. The last fruit on the tree just split. Lets see for next year.

Adiel

• pj1881
    13 years ago

It seems kinda odd to name a mango variety after a football player. I mean it almost seems like an insult for a mango to carry a name that has nothing to do with its lineage? Some cultivars are centuries old, should'nt a name have some meaning?? Good thing we didnt name any Oranges after OJ Simpson!

• sleep
    13 years ago

JF,

The Tebow/Young should be smaller than a Keitt..

• irun5k
    12 years ago

Unless I'm missing some key part of the story, I see no reason why this mango should be referred to as anything other than the "Young" mango.

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

Sleep, your Youngs/Tebows have to be ripe by now. Any report on the taste?

• sleep
    12 years ago

Well, I started with 4.....

One got knocked off prematurely by the dogs. I ate it, and found it to be pleasant and mild. But it was definately immature.

Two were stolen by either a Racoon , Opossum, or Human thief.

One is left, and looks like it will be ready soon. Hopefully I will get to try it at it's peak. We'll see..

• sleep
    12 years ago

So this morning I had a Young/Tebow from my very small tree.

I agree with Harry's review of this Mango. Fiberless, nice texture, and pretty bland. IMO, Flavor wise does not stand up against many of the standard favorites on this forum.

That being said, there are some nice qualities to the tree. It has grown very well in my yard, is a nice sized mango, and is very productive. My tree has only been in the ground for about 1 1/2 years, and it produced 4 fruit to maturity. It tried to produce more, but I thinned it out in the early spring.

At this point, I plan to top-work 2 varieties onto it. I guess I'll leave it 1/3rd Young/Tebow as a novelty..

• mangodog
    12 years ago

congrats, sleep, it's a great feeling isn't it?
    That first mango from a young tree - many many years
    of success to you

...and you know what? That flavour may improve
    over the years as "they" say the fruit on a very young tree is not often indicative of the more mature tree....

(of course if could even get worse - wink wink - but I think not....)

Gary

• Richard Squires
    8 years ago

This will be the second year - fruit. The Tebow mango is awesomeIt is beginning of spring 2016It should fruit in June July

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You might need to give the tree several years before you can be able to make an accurate determination of what the variety tastes like. I know Satsuma mandarin trees can take up to 7 years to develop optimal flavor, and even after that the flavor very slowly continues to improve, reaching a peak at perhaps 18 to 25 years. From a 2 year old tree they are bland and watery; from a 6-7 year old tree they pretty much taste like how they do at the supermarket; from a 25 year old tree they are packed with flavor, almost like the best mandarin variety you can find. I know mandarins and mangoes are like apples and oranges (hahaha, get the joke?) but I am just making an analogy. With mangoes I have read it generally takes 4 to 7 years for the fruits to develop optimal flavor (from the time the plant is a seedling).